Pony tank with BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carrielsal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am currently not a tech diver and use an Pearl i3 BC. I have decided that I want to dive solo. I like diving several times a week in our local area and it's difficult to line up buddies so often. I also really enjoy the quiet under the water and absolutely love diving in the dark. For me, it's very calming and great stress release. I am very comfortable under the water working out problems.
I've been giving a great deal of thought to handling problems underwater by myself and how I would solve them. I would set my maximum depth to 80'. I currently carry redundant computers. My primary computer is an AI, so I'm going to add an analog spg.
I think the biggest change I need to make is to add a backup air source.
I would like to add a pony, but at this point in time I don't want to have to replace my BC with a BP/w to mount it. I am thinking about taking technical courses in the new future, so I would to purchase something that can be used later on.
I have looked at the XTR Exta Air System, XS Scuba XTR Extra Air System.
This looks like it would fulfill my needs for now and it has everything I would need and would be easy to attach. I just don't know how I feel about this attaching to the back of my tank. I would much rather be able to have this in front.
If I go techie, would I be able to use this? Are there better solutions? I saw a post not too long ago from someone who has his pony attached diagonally across the front of his bc, but I cannot figure out how I would attach it?
Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.
Carrie

Last edited:
There should be no need to go diagonal or anything. I just rigged up a pony with the classic "stage bottle rigging" method used to sling it with a backplate, but I moved the bottom hose clamp to the bottom of the AL19 so the clip would be near the front-of-my-hip D-ring on my BC. Instead of resting under my arm, it was basically hanging parallel with me, but it worked perfectly fine.

Of course, when I went to a drysuit, I moved to a BP/W for most of my diving. Now my ponies are rigged "normally" and slung from a shoulder D-ring to a side-of-the-hip D-ring, and I like them better that way, but they worked fine on the BC.

The only "problem" I can see with slinging on a BC is that the D-rings you'll likely use are significantly farther apart. If you're using at least an AL19, the pony will be tall enough to reach. On the other hand, if you're using something much smaller (like an AL13... or less?), you might not be able to reach both the shoulder and hip rings. In that case, you'd have to be creative (like going from shoulder to pocket ring on my BC, perhaps). Of course, I personally wouldn't use anything less than an AL19 as my redundant scuba (given my physiology and potential depths), but if you intend to sling a really small bottle, it's something to think about.

Basically, unless you have a really small bottle, it should be possible to sling it on whatever BC you have. It likely won't end up in exactly the same position as it would slinging a stage on a plain old harness, but it shouldn't be hard, and you'll have it where you can see and work it (and isn't that the important part?).

I'm thinking either a 19 or 30 cu. I want to make sure I have enough air for the worst OOA scenario.
The choices as I see them are to either buy a pony, some kind of mounting kit, spg and reg separately or purchase a spare air kit like the XTR Extra Air System. What I liked about the XTR Extra Air System is that it comes with the spg and both stages. Would this be sufficient or would it be better to purchase a reg set separately? Why?
Carrie

If you attach a 30cuft bottle to your main tank then you'll want a system with 2 points of contact (like the Super Pony Tamer) just to keep it as atable as possible.

regarding the Reg setup, I guess either way would work. Personally I have an old US Divers first stage witha Micra second stage on a 36in miflex hose & a 1in button SPG on a 32in miflex hose. By having the button gauge on a 32in hose I can actually see my pony pressure while it's still on my back. Just tie the HP hose to the Regulator hose and the gauge will always be easy to find.

Hi Carrie,
I'll answer the question in the context you have given. For someone who is possibly considering going "tech" down the road and doesn't want to rebuy a bunch of gear or relearn skills you should consider a 30-40cuft pony slung from the left chest D ring to the left hip D ring. This is how you will carry your stage/deco bottles and a 40cuft Al bottle is a very common deco bottle size.

There isn't anything wrong with that system you reference but it will be obsolete if you progress further down the tech path and you will wind up trying to sell it on ebay. The bottles are too small and that fancy SPG they describe is just a button SPG. While it (spg) will work for a pony bottle it will be useless in the tech realm. I bet it would probably be just as cheap to buy a quality first and second stage, brass and glass SPG with a 6" hose and an Al bottle (considering such a set up would be valid for the rest of your diving career).

I used to sling my 30cuft pony on my BCD (Seasoft sealion) before switching to a BP/W. None of the D rings were that great but I was able to refit the BCD with a proper left hip D ring and sturdier Chest D ring.

As for mounting the pony on the back vs slinging, there are many threads here on SB where each method is debated and I have buddies that mount theirs either way. Both will work but my preference is slung as I can access the valve and monitor the system for any potential gas loss. Plus, it is the way stage/deco bottles are worn so the tech skillset is the same. Although it may look cumbersome on land, a side slung pony has little effect on you once you are in the water and I routinely dive with my pony or a sideslung Al80 stage without altering my trim weights etc...

Hope this helps,

Dale.

I posted the other question concerning solo diving.
I AM NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL WITH THE AIR SOURCE SYSTEM. I carry a 19 cu ft pony bottle...attached to "D" rings (slung on my side) I had to adjust weighting, but no problem. This gives me more air than air source, If I go "Tech" the bottle is carried the same way, seems only natural to do it this way. A little more $, but if you are going "Tech" later, why not get the extra reg now? I am not an expert but this is my current thinking.
Steve

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I went down to my LDS tonight and ordered a 19cu luxifer pony with a yoke valve that unscrews to a din and another reg set and spg. I'm going to start off attaching it to my tank. I picked this bc for the almost perfect fit and comfort, but unfortunately it does not have d-rings on the shoulders. I guess if I don't like it on the tank I can have another d-ring attached to my bc.
carrie

Carrie,

I'm curious if you have received your new pony AL19 tank and mounting kit yet? Have you dove with it? How do you like that size pony attached to your tank on your back? I'm in the same market and wondering what your first impressions are along with your pros and cons if you have had the chance to dive it yet?

Back
Top Bottom