pony tank reg hose routing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasean

Contributor
Reaction score
Suppose I have a pony tank secured to my main single tank....and also have a first and second stage attached to that pony....

Seems to me that I should couple the pony upside down with respect to the main tank, so I can most easily reach the pony valve to turn it on (I have heard that most folks having ponys charge the hose, then turn the valve off until needed).

1. Should I mount the pony upside down?

2. Regardless of the answer to question 1 (but please answer it anyway, so I understand your recommendation) how long should the reg hose be, and how should it be routed? I plan on a bungied backup, but am unsure how it should route...I have a long hose primary.

Gracias!

scubasean:
Suppose I have a pony tank secured to my main single tank....and also have a first and second stage attached to that pony....

Seems to me that I should couple the pony upside down with respect to the main tank, so I can most easily reach the pony valve to turn it on (I have heard that most folks having ponys charge the hose, then turn the valve off until needed).

1. Should I mount the pony upside down?

2. Regardless of the answer to question 1 (but please answer it anyway, so I understand your recommendation) how long should the reg hose be, and how should it be routed? I plan on a bungied backup, but am unsure how it should route...I have a long hose primary.

Gracias!

i havent heard of too many people mounting pony tanks upside down or turning the valve off either, at least when mounted on the back to a tank. the way i always see it is mounted right side up turned on and the hose on your right side with your primary, and the second stage either on a bungee necklace or some kiind of clip or holder. i wouldnt think of turning off a tank that i might need quickly in a situation where i am having equipment problems. the alternative that i have seen is carrying the pony up front clipped to your harness under your left arm.

If you do leave the valve off, you're going to have to mount it upside down. Other wise, you won't easily be able to reach the valve to turn it on. I wouldn't leave it off. In an emergency, the last thing you want to be doing is straining for the knob. On the other hand, I wouldn't mount it to the tank at all. I would sling it under my left arm, like tech divers sling deco bottles. This keeps it in the slipstream created by your head, so the bottle doesn't add any drag. Also, you can easily reach the valve so you CAN leave it off during the dive. Do a search for 'pony bottles' for a whole lot more info.

thanks folks....!!

I'll definitely leave the valve on...unless I sling it.

If I want to sling it, do I just get two cam bands and use D-rings on the cam bands with clips between those and the rings on my harness? Or is there a better way?

I'm missing something....

Well, kind of. Not really though. Here's a link to an article about it (http://gue.com/equipment/tanks-4.shtml). Be sure and use bolt snaps, not gate clips, as gate clips will clip themselves on to any line, kelp, or anything else you're swimming through, which will get you tangled up. The reg can either be put under an elasic band as shown on that website, or you can clip it to your BC. Oh, and if you don't want to make your own stage mounting kit, you can buy them pre-made. Check this out: http://www.extreme-exposure.com/acc/halc-hosekits.shtml

Hope that helps...

I was recently up against this as well ( planned on a few solo dives in Bonaire) At first I wanted a back mount..but my LDS let me play with his stage bottle in the pool.Out of the water
it seems very awkward and funky but once in I didnt even notice it (took 2 lbs off on that side) trim was fine..no biggee!
If and when you need it,its right there!

scubasean:
thanks folks....!!

I'll definitely leave the valve on...unless I sling it.

If I want to sling it, do I just get two cam bands and use D-rings on the cam bands with clips between those and the rings on my harness? Or is there a better way?

Here are a couple of links on how to rig a stage bottle. It works well for ponies as well unless they are extremely short.

The DIR method:

http://www.dir-diver.com./en/equipment/stagebottle_rigging.html

The Hogarthian method (my preference):

http://www.bentleytech.com/cave/stage/index.html

Back
Top Bottom