Question (pony) tank protection from steel bands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCrecdiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,
I use a shark system to mount my pony on my primary tank. My question is for any kind of mounting system attached to the pony using a "semi-permanently" mounted bracket with steel bands. Do you put material between the pony and the metal bands to protect your pony? I noticed, after taking off the bracket at the end of the diving season (I leave it on the entire season), that there are scuffs and salt deposit markings where the metal bands were sitting. Is this a problem or only cosmetic? Do you put material between tank and hands? Tank sleeve or electrical tape on the tank, heat shrink tubing around the bracket bands?

Thanks!

What JD said... ^^^

1673586518477.png

3/4" Inch Commercial Grade Tubular Webbing - BLACK
Or Rubber: Cylinder / Hose Clamp Rubber Protector 🗜️

These are nice. They wrap the bottom, sides and a little of the top edge of the band in rubber. Clear water line tubing from the hardware store might be functionally the same, but this lets you wash off the steel bands.

Plus you can get rubber sheets in various thicknesses for any none clamp band parts.

For my Sidemount bands I buy the SS bands from a hydraulic hose supplier and for a sleeve over the bands I buy webbing from a sports/outdoor store. They sell that webbing in their climbing area. Www.mec.ca.

Thanks for the ideas! Got some options to look at and play around it. Nice activity to keep my mind occupied while I wait for my dry suit to get here.

Back
Top Bottom