Pony reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

totterfield

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone suggest to me a good reliable pony regulator that i could use that is reasonably priced??? also which side is the pony cylinder supposed to be if my first stage from my main tank come over my right shoulder, is it on the same side so i have the two regs on one side then the oct on the left from my main tank??? cheers Tom

Hi Tom,

I recently bought a second reg for a pony/stage bottle -- originally I was going to buy something inexpensive. After further consideration, I bought an Apeks TX-100 for 2 reasons: (1) I want a high quality reg on both my primary and back-up taks; and (2) To match the TX-100 I use for my main tank -- the reason being if I have any issues with one of the regs in the field, I can switch to the other reg, with all the hoses/first/second stages being 100% compatible (except for the wonderful 1/2" TX-100 port).

My $0.02.

Good luck.

-Chris

There are some cheap pony regulators out there, avoid them. On general principle, get a regulator that you would feel comfortable using as the primary. I purchased an Apex TX40 for mine. Leisurepro.com is advertising Apek TX40 regulators in stock for $199.95. For some reason it looks like the faceplates are blue but since it’s for a pony or stage bottle that would be fine.

MikeS,
Whats the faceplate color have to do with selecting a reg?

Just curious? Differant model, perhaps?

????

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
MikeS,
Whats the faceplate color have to do with selecting a reg?

Just curious? Differant model, perhaps?

????

Certain colors are typically applied to certain applications, i.e. black for primary, yellow for octopus, green for O2 clean, etc. When first I switched to using a long hose, my bungeed backup initially had a yellow face plate (former octopus). This made me nervous, as I was concerned that an OOA diver seeing the yellow faceplate might try to grab it rather than accepting my donated primary. I swapped it out when I got the chance. I’m not even sure what a blue faceplate signifies maybe someone can help us out.

Back
Top Bottom