Pony/Redundent Regulator Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually I was, in order to have easy access to it in an emergency. What is the down side of this?

Looking to learn.

jamiep3:
Actually I was, in order to have easy access to it in an emergency. What is the down side of this?

Looking to learn.

One downside is that a moment of distraction can cause you to place the bungied reg, rather that your primary, in your mouth and before you know it ... you are "out of gas". It's happened. Not to me but it has happened and I heard of it happening on a 150ft dive. The result was a near disaster.

A 'bungeed backup' should be connected to your primary gas supply, Not to an emergency and/or limited supply. If you are in so much s*** that you have no time to deploy a secured reg then you'ld best reconsider the dive, or use doubles if you need redundancy.

Point taken, however, If I deploy any backup, for me the dive is over and I'm heading to exit point. Also, I'm looking for ways to streamline my gear. I'm not using a redundant reg at this time. Just a primary with an Octo to donate and a pony on deep dives for a bailout.

I guess I should have asked this question in another forum, you guys are above my degree of difficulty.

But thanks for the insight.

jamiep3:
Point taken, however, If I deploy any backup, for me the dive is over and I'm heading to exit point. Also, I'm looking for ways to streamline my gear. I'm not using a redundant reg at this time. Just a primary with an Octo to donate and a pony on deep dives for a bailout.

I guess I should have asked this question in another forum, you guys are above my degree of difficulty.

Jaimie, to me the best thing about a pony/bailout bottle is the fact that you could hand it off to somone who was in need of it. Thus, you could help someone while still maintaining some distance from them. With the secondary reg to the pony "bungeed" around your neck, handing of off this bottle would be greatly complicated.

Also, don't just give up on this forum. There is an incredible amount of knowledge available here for those who would learn.

jamiep3:

Perhaps you should define deep.

If you are "that" deep you really should be using doubles; which are much more streamlined and useful than any single/pony combo is likely to be. And doubles look "bi*chin" as well :eyebrow:

Anywho, how large a pony? Again, if it's significant it will not be as streamlined as a set of doubles nor will it be as easily carried.

Scubafool is correct-a-mundo ... there is a lot of information available. You asked, folks are answering.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom