Pony/Redundant Set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can get carried away as well: :wink:
tekkie.jpg

There is no reason to sling a pony smaller than 40cf.

If you need to hand it off, the hander offee should
have their own, and look less at their computer and
more at their SPG.

pony bottle scuba rigging photos - Google Search

Check out the really handsome dude on page 15

There is nothing fancy about recreational diving
cumbersomely rigged for decompression unless
your pony interferes with the inflation of your BCD.

I am also just starting down the road of pony rigging and I have a few cents to add..WU.. really.
Gas planning... yep consider the pony..not in the gas you need for the dive but the need for the pony in the dive, nitrox 40 would really make a bad day if diving at 120, perhaps the term mentioned is bailout strategy. make sure that if you are trusting a bailout that it would have enough gas for the depth you are at. Backmount... seems ungainly to me and no real benefits above slinging.
I am personally configuring a 40 as my slung pony, stage because I cannot afford to buy tanks to match all of my potential dive profiles and my calcs have determined that one al40 will answer the mail on any profile I will dive in the near future.Good question and there have been some good replies. Thanx for asking this.

I have read a few points here that I would differ with (so just adding my 2CW).

Using the rules of 1/3's isn't the best course of action in a recreational setting and was explained a little incorrectly. It is generally used in overhead environments (not part of recreational diving) and follows a 1/3 in, 1/3 out, 1/3 held in reserve.

For recreational diving one should instead calulate the amount of gas needed for two divers to safely ascend from the max depth anticipated (rock bottom reserve) and set this amount as the bingo, or "time to go up" limit. This amount can be halved in the back gas if one carries a pony bottle that also holds rock bottom for one diver.

Generally the plan is for one major failure at the worst possible moment (max depth) followed by immediate ascent so the pony need not carry enough gas for two divers. It needs to carry enough gas for the one diver who has lost their back gas.

Calculating rock bottom could/should include calculations for ascent rate, safety stops, time to return to uplines, problem solving at depth. It depends on the situation and what your team decides is appropriate. 30'/min., 60'/min., no stops, full stops... It's you and your buddies choice as long as you are willing to accept the consequences.

Using a pony need not be difficult or overly complicated:

Picture2005-14.jpg

1' per second, no safety stop, with air... still beats the hell out of a CESA, doesn't it?

1' per second, no safety stop, with air... still beats the hell out of a CESA, doesn't it?

I would call that an assisted-CESA.:wink:

Still, not a very good plan.

You can get carried away as well: :wink:
tekkie.jpg

All those extra tanks would be unnecessary if he would just carry a spare air...:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom