pony or spare air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It may have been mentioned before, I skimmed a few posts. The OP seems to be worried about regulators breaking. It's my understanding that when a reg "breaks", by design the result is almost always a freeflow, and you're taught to deal with that in your OW class. If the reg doesn't/stops giving you air, you've probably forgotten something somewhere (checking your gauges, turning on the air, pre-dive checks, etc) and you've been taught to avoid/deal with those situations too.

I don't dive with a pony or spare air (that's what my buddy is for).

(and for the record, I don't use split fins, and I've ditched my snorkel:dork2:)

It may have been mentioned before, I skimmed a few posts. The OP seems to be worried about regulators breaking. It's my understanding that when a reg "breaks", by design the result is almost always a freeflow, and you're taught to deal with that in your OW class. If the reg doesn't/stops giving you air, you've probably forgotten something somewhere (checking your gauges, turning on the air, pre-dive checks, etc) and you've been taught to avoid/deal with those situations too.

I don't dive with a pony or spare air (that's what my buddy is for).

(and for the record, I don't use split fins, and I've ditched my snorkel:dork2:)

There are failures that can cause immediate and total failure of the regulator. These are quite rare (1st stage turret separation due to failure of turret bolt, total failure of HP seat, blocked tank dip tube, etc.). More common are blown tank o-rings, freeflows due to a variety of causes, blown LP hoses...

But the most common cause of OOA is not paying attention to the SPG and lack of planning....

But in any case, you do need a "plan" for returning safely to the surface if you suddenly find yourself OOA or unable to access the air in your tank.

Best wishes.

I think a belt made of Spare Airs would look cool. :D

Next question "Should I buy it at Leisurepro?" :popcorn:

Just bring a whole spare compressor (TM) down there with you; you could power it with about 20 or 30 canister light batteries. Of course you'd need an OMS 100 lb bungied wing to stay neutral, and these new fins I've been designing, the "double split".

AL 80 with a quality 1st stage and two reliable 2nd stages is very reliable. If you are diving 50' open water no ceiling then you are pretty safe. There is a chance the "Whatif" monster will still get you and the snake eye roll of the dice is something you can plan for but .....

Find a good buddy to dive with. You will have two tanks and four working regs when you hit the water.

When I solo dive I have a primary Stl tank, two regs, a 40 AL w/a third reg. You will have me beat by having two more legs, two more arms, 20 more CuFt , another working reg, AND an entire extra brain with you.

For now I rent air tanks. Our local dive shop doesn't rent pony bottles or spare air. If I need redundant air for safety then I have to buy one of these options. On another thread some people were saying that all you need to do is look at your pressure gauges and manage your air. I wish it were that simple and nothing ever broke...

I will think about what everyone posted.

Hey it wont hurt to have one. Weird crap happens and having more air isn't a bad thing just make sure you don't use it as an extension to your air. Back up only.

ok, ill admit, i have NOT read all 4 pages on this subject....BUT if you NEED redundant air source with less than 25 dives.....quit now.

You are not tech qualified, you possibly have not been taught how to use dive tables and you most likely do not have a dive computer.

That being said, get all your basic gear first, get in at least 50-100 dives then decide for your self what, if any, redundant air supply you need.

If you cant make an alum 80 last for at least 1:30 in a pool, then wait until you can before you worry about redundant air sources.

Just my $0.02 worth

Hey guy there's no need to act like that.:shakehead: Why not use a pony bottle? He will probably never need to use it...hopefully. As long as you don't let it give you a false since of security and put your self into a hazardous position then why not. More air is more more time to get your self out of a tough spot that some of us newbies get ourselves into. On another note. If you burn through an al80 in a pool fast then a pony might be a better idea anyways. :D

For the OP, here is my suggested order of gear purchase, in order of priority:

Mask, computer, SMB & spool, regs, BC, fins, wetsuit

Pony would come well after that and SA wouldn't even make the list

ok, ill admit, i have NOT read all 4 pages on this subject....BUT if you NEED redundant air source with less than 25 dives.....quit now.

You are not tech qualified, you possibly have not been taught how to use dive tables and you most likely do not have a dive computer.

That being said, get all your basic gear first, get in at least 50-100 dives then decide for your self what, if any, redundant air supply you need.

If you cant make an alum 80 last for at least 1:30 in a pool, then wait until you can before you worry about redundant air sources.

Just my $0.02 worth

And worth every penny...

Ah... there's so much to question but I'll limit myself to this: Please explain what making an Al 80 last 1:30 in a pool has to do with redundant airsources? I'm very curious to hear your views on dive planning in this regard as it appears you and rubber duckie think a redundant airsource is used to extend a dive.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom