Pony--dive with valve open or closed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it's for emergency use, for example to hand off to an OOA diver, it must be ready to use without intervention, so you need to keep the valve open and a detuned reg on it to avoid free flows. If it's part of your dive plan, the valve should be closed.

FWIW, I define "pony" as a bottle for emergency use, and a "stage" or "deco bottle" as gas to be used as part of the dive plan.

Roak

If I back mount, I leave the valve open. If I sling it on my right side, I close the valve. A slung tank is easy to get to but a back mount tank is almost impossible to get to the valve in an emergency situation. A slung tank is more likely to drag or hit something causing a freeflow or ... I must admit that I have never thought about mounting the tank upside down like drbill has said. I will try that, sounds like a good idea. I use a Luxfer 19, not a lot of air but at least a backup system. So far have never had to use it in an emergency yet, but I keep it full of nitrox 36 and use it all the time for staging and deco.

My only problem with the idea of having the valve closed is getting water into the first stage of the regulator. If you bump the purge button a few times, you'll drain the 1st stage, and end up with water in it. I don't dive pony bottles, so this is just my 2 cents.

Creed:
My only problem with the idea of having the valve closed is getting water into the first stage of the regulator. If you bump the purge button a few times, you'll drain the 1st stage, and end up with water in it. I don't dive pony bottles, so this is just my 2 cents.

Hi Creed,

This is the standard way 90% of tech divers in the world carry their deco gas. I regularly check my deco regs during the dive and re-charge them from time to time. These regs also receive a greater amount of attention and better service intervals than most recreational divers regs.

Your point is well taken however.

I've been carrying mine off and recharging if necessary (bumped purge, etc.) I've been concerned about the lst stage and the opinions about how damaging this can be have been mixed and a little consfusing. I'm using an R190 and Mk2 Scubapro if that helps.

I have no trouble turning the valve on, slung when needed.
It's right in front of my face and I'm new to slinging so I don't see it as much of a task with a breath or two in the charged reg or even without.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom