pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there should be tons on pony bottles....but making your own mount is another thing.

i do remember someone talking about making a system that they strap theirs to their chest with....but i prefer the main bottle mount i have over the system they came up with....

can make a suggestion for bottle mount...only down side is it is heavy...b ut that helps get rid of weights.....

another good thing....it switches very easy ....i like to mount my pony upside down so i can reach the valve...but its just a preference....im sure someone will blast me because of it...

try...... www.sea-lutions.com/ponease

rich

AUL makes a simple set of mount that let you attach the pony to you main tank. (There are quite a few manufacturers that do much the same.) These ones from AUL are dirt cheap at $10 (including the clamp bands). See:
http://www.aulinc.com/Shopping Cart/Accessories.html

I use a little 6 ft. bailout bottle and I've since changed over to a different mounting. I modified one of the cheap nylon bags to fit on the 2" webbing on by plate/wings. It's held right up next to the plate by weight retainers. This keeps it out of the way, yet the valve is still easy to reach.

this topic comes around quite frequently. You'll find something. Trust me.

It is unwise to attach your 'pony' or bailout bottle behind you to your single tank. You cannot reach the valve to turn it on or off. You cannot hand it off to someone else. In that location it is more likely to become entangled on something in such a way that you, unassisted, cannot untangle it.

Most bailout bottles don't have a lot of air to begin with. Bailout regs can have many of the same types of problems that your other regulators can. Therefore, charge your reg before getting into the water, then turn it off with pressure in the hose. If you ever need it, it takes seconds to turn it on - plus you know it will be full.

This is a better option for carrying a bailout bottle:
http://www.dive-rite.com/resource/stage/index.htm

Remember that you may need it, or someone else may, but emergencies underwater have a distressing tendency to not occur as you planned.

Generally speaking it is wise to preserve as many options as possible while reducing potential liability to a minimum. Putting your pony on your back does not do that.

FWIW. YMMV.

Doc

I can't come up with any reason NOT to sling a pony, and I strongly recommend that you make that pony a 19cf bottle for open water use.

I have someone that dives with me that almost cacked himself this summer with a smaller, back-mounted bottle. While the cause of the near-experience was his own fault, that doesn't change the almost-outcome.

I've had to hand off my 19cf once - and was real glad it was slung that afternoon....

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
... is the Ebay mount.

With this mount you won't even know the pony bottle is there.

:D

:)

SS

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
... is the Ebay mount.

With this mount you won't even know the pony bottle is there.

:D
And if you need it, it won't be!;-0

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom