Pony Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not a PSD......

But I was on a dive charter with a large PSD group......

Their configuration was pony mounted "inverted" on tank with a "disconnecting" bracket and a long 40" hose on their 13 CF pony......

Inverted so the diver could easily access the valve......

Interesting that it was also their personal back-up....

The primary tank first stage only has one second stage on it.....

M

I didn't even know we put the lid on this can of worms and here it is.., open again. :(

We use to use a tiger mount, tank up the same way as the main gas supply, but changed over and now use the HD quick draw bracket mounted beside our main tank(valve up). It is quick draw for set up only as it is hard mounted to our system with a Kirby Morgan Block. It is a Pony for the diver, we have a "pass-off" bottle with the Rescue Diver if he needs to give air to a diver in distress.

You will hear many opinions and comments about what works best for PSD..., about the only thing most people agree on is that slinging a tank for PSD is bad as it an entanglement hazard as sometimes we need to be mud puppies and crawl around in the gucky stuff.

After a long investigation and trying out different pony brackets our team has begun to standardize on the HD quick draw bracket. It is a very well made bracket that will hold you pony in place and makes it easy to change out your large tank.

The prevailing opinion on our team is that since we dive single diver on the line the pony is for the diver who is carrying it. In most emergency situations like out of air or equipment failure of their main air supply the pony is there for the diver experiencing the emergency. If an entanglement occured the diver could try to self rescue by ditching their BCD, remove the pony and swim to safety. I realize there are several other factors that need to be met for a scenario like this to playout sucessfully I just referenced the pony bottle for this discussion.

Our team choses to equip our safety diver with a neutrally bouyant AL80 and regulator which he would bring to a diver in distress and hand that off if necessary.

As ditch mentioned this topic has been brought up here once or twice before and the one common theme is that every team seems to have their own way of doing this.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom