Pony bottle w/1st stage built into DIN valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I was going to use it to satisfy some claimed requirements about having a backup to the loop even though I now have a OC/DSV valve run off my diluent cylinder where all I need to do is turn the rotor on the valve at my mouth to bailout rather than closing the valve and bailing out to my 2nd stage on my BC inflator. I would run a sufficient length hose to the second stage as grabbing a bottle is lame....but when not diving with a particular operation, it would get stored in my garage where it belongs till I get into deco stuff, at which time a pony in the 19 cf range would be used.

My main concern is I don't need to add any more weight to my rig as is.....having a din valve and a 1st stage weighs a few pounds extra potentially needlessly. I am just scouting right now getting thoughts....

Well I for one can't help much in choosing OC bail out for a rebreather since I only dive OC.

I inspected these things at Dema and I must say that if you are a died in the wool "spair air" devote this is better option due to its capacity. they seem very well made and I think they would stand up well.

In my opinion I would prefer a standard pony bottle/regulator setup.

Julie

JulieParkhurst:
I inspected these things at Dema and I must say that if you are a died in the wool "spair air" devote this is better option due to its capacity. they seem very well made and I think they would stand up well.

In my opinion I would prefer a standard pony bottle/regulator setup.

Julie

I should have spent longer looking around at DEMA, I was busy checking out the rebreather stuff........as a non-employee I had to employ my legendary gate crashing skills as it were to get in, took the better part of 30 seconds, had to check out the new goodies as I had just called the credit card company and had them change my credit card limit to the "stun" setting.

DrySuitDave:
Well I was going to use it to satisfy some claimed requirements about having a backup to the loop even though I now have a OC/DSV valve run off my diluent cylinder where all I need to do is turn the rotor on the valve at my mouth to bailout rather than closing the valve and bailing out to my 2nd stage on my BC inflator. I would run a sufficient length hose to the second stage as grabbing a bottle is lame....but when not diving with a particular operation, it would get stored in my garage where it belongs till I get into deco stuff, at which time a pony in the 19 cf range would be used.

My main concern is I don't need to add any more weight to my rig as is.....having a din valve and a 1st stage weighs a few pounds extra potentially needlessly. I am just scouting right now getting thoughts....

Having an oc/dsv is not a redundant source in anyone's book.. Its still the same 1st stage any way you put it..

personally I wount dive with anything less than a 40cuft independent bottle. I don't allow students to carry anything less than a 30cuft (and this is bare minimum for an OC bailout for most no deco dives)

On a CCR decompression dives TWO bailout bottles is the minimum (1 for bottom bailout, 1 for decompression gas)

Its best to pretend the onboard gas doesn't exist.. in my opinion the OC DSV really isn't necessary for most divers.. It only has ONE use.. That is to get a few sanity breaths if you feel the loop has a problem.. Then witch to offboard bailout if necessary. Unless you fill the diluent cylinder after each dive chances are its not close to being enough bailout.. (600liters/ ~20cuft assuming you havent used any gas for bc, drsuit and 1st dive)
IANTD requires a sling starting at 90ft/ ANDI requires it on all dives.

A way the OC/dsv can be utlilized better is having a way to plug an offboard source into the manifold (or directly to it).. manifold is preferable and shutting down the onboard dil reg or better yet havinf a return val;ve on the dil reg with a lower IP than the offboard supply..

Faber 51 Cubic foot low pressure steel bottle and Apeks ATX50/DS4 Combo.

Works great. Huge capacity when overfilled. Good buoyancy characteristics and logn and slim enough to really hide in the slipstream when rigged as a stage bottle.

Joe,

If I went with an additional Inspiration sized 3L bailout bottle for non-deco stuff, I think Bob's OC/DSV would be better utilized being plugged directly into the bailout bottle.

If I ever get into deco stuff, first I need to be able to see the friggin little teeny numbers in my Cochran 2fo2 2 po2 computer. let alone figure out all it's functions....then get a mask that doesn't occassionaly trickle just enough water into the lower part of the eyes pockets so as to screw up my guage readers installed in the lower third. For eventual deco stuff, an outboard manifold would be nice for the OC/DSV wherein a manifold allows me to plug in a slung offboard bailout although it would still have it's own reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom