Pony bottle, TSA and Delta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Well, it finally happened. We flew back from Bonaire on Delta so of course went through Atlanta and TSA confiscated our 13 cf pony bottle that was packed in one of our checked bags. I had wondered if they would notify us if this happened. They once did when they found a lighter I had forgotten about in my save a dive bag. They let us know about the lighter while we were in line for boarding. But not a word this time.

We honestly didn't notice the absence until I recieved an email from Delta that they had the tank. So we checked the bag and sure enough there was the slip from TSA stating that it had been confiscated as hazardeous material and released to Delta for disposal.

A few days later Eric called the number from the email and spoke with a very nice man with Delta. We were completely surprised when he said he just needed our address so he could ground ship it to us. Eric asked what we can do in the future to avoid this and he said just cover the opening with clear tape. We had always used a tank plug that was recommend to us by our LDS. Apparently this time it “freaked out” the TSA agent!

So I waited to post until the tank arrived which it did today. Boo TSA and kudos to Delta

Since the TSA wants the valve removed and clear tape over the tank opening - Are you going to install the valve yourself or have the tank cleaned and the valve installed? Is it worth is for a 13cf tank? Might be easier to rent a 40cf. Your thoughts?

Since the TSA wants the valve removed and clear tape over the tank opening - Are you going to install the valve yourself or have the tank cleaned and the valve installed? Is it worth is for a 13cf tank? Might be easier to rent a 40cf. Your thoughts?

Installing a valve on a pony tank that has tape over the opening is a complicated multi-step process that must be followed in a particular order or there will be major problems.

Here's the step by step procedure that must be followed after you arrive at your destination. Feel free to print it out if necessary.

1- Remove clear tape from opening
2- Be sure the rubber washer is around the threads of the pony tank valve
3- Screw valve into pony bottle
4- Bring pony bottle to a local dive shop to fill it for you- do not say that it was emptied and the valve removed unless you like to pay for unnecessary VIPs.
5- Go dive

Was the valve or a cap on the cylinder? That's a no-no.

How to Transport a Scuba Tank - Rules to Comply With
The cap was screwed into the cylinder. This was what the owner of my LDS does and what we have done for years without a problem. In fact our LDS gave it too us just for this purpose. It is the caps used in new tanks when they are shipped to the shop. No more.

No magic required to install a tank valve. In the words of the immortal Mr. Mayagi
upload_2017-12-21_13-22-34.jpeg

Wax on. . wax off .. . grasshopper

I put mine on a 'snug' finger tight.

Unless you're going to have it filled with EAN that is partial pressure blended (pure O2 added to tank first) the 'missed' visual doesn't mean squat

Installing a valve on a pony tank that has tape over the opening is a complicated multi-step process

Complicated is a relative term. Some people might find this thread helpful: Scuba Cylinder Valve Installation

The cap was screwed into the cylinder. This was what the owner of my LDS does and what we have done for years without a problem. In fact our LDS gave it too us just for this purpose. It is the caps used in new tanks when they are shipped to the shop. No more.

It is fairly understandable from the TSA agent's and airport's point of view. Unscrewing a cap could unleash all kinds of bad things.

You were luckier than me. I had a 6cf stolen from my luggage on a United flight to Bon. At first I thought it was TSA but no slip and no record with TSA. Put a claim in with United and they paid me for the stolen tank. United was having an issue in Newark with thefts from check in luggage.

We have been flying with this pony for years and it has made at least 12 back and forth trips through Atlanta and this is the first time we have had a problem.

The change to tape will not alter our routine. When we arrive at the destination Eric reinstalls the valve and gives it a little tap with something, usually a piece of wood then we fill it ourselves with our much loved @couv DIY special...

Tank Equalizer for $2.50

FWIW visual inspection requirements vary from country to country and may well not be required at your destination if you do get it fill at a shop. You can contact them ahead of time to ask their policy.

And yes, even if we had lost the tank it is still worth it, especially for Eric. We have tried the rental option at our destination but usually the cost of rental makes taking our own worth the effort and risk of loss.

Last edited:
Tangent--I've never had a lighter confiscated from my carry-on. Once I had my supply of matches taken and the officer GAVE me a lighter as a replacement... This right after 9-11 in 2002, but it was in Canada, so not TSA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom