Pony Bottle SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mk2

New
Reaction score
I am in the process of purchasing my pony bottle (just for air reserve not a staging bottle) and the dive shop showed me some tiny little spg that goes onto the high pressure port. He tried to convince me that this 1 inch long guage will take up far less room. If i ever have to use this bottle, I am obviously on my way up (its a size 30 one) and knowing the exact pressure versus the appx 250 psi deviation wouldnt matter to me.

This was broached in another conversation about spg's but not answered as it wasnt on topic.

This is probably not a very good forum to post this question in as the use of a pony bottles is not part of the DIR system.

Good Luck,

Jonathan

Moved from the DIR forum to General Equipment discussion ... carry on ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

mk2:
I am in the process of purchasing my pony bottle and the dive shop showed me some tiny little spg that goes onto the high pressure port. If i ever have to use this bottle, I am obviously on my way up and knowing the exact pressure versus the appx 250 psi deviation wouldnt matter to me.
Hi, MK. I went with a small Scubapro gauge on my pony bottle, the Mini VIP. The face is one and a half inches across and it comes on a thirty-inch hose. It's much more readable than the micro button gauges.

I went this route because I want to easily see what's in the pony as I'm using it--don't want to panic unnecessarily.:) Also because this set (first stage, second stage, and Mini VIP pressure gauge) can work as a primary bottle regulator for me or a buddy if one of our sets goes missing or non-functional. (Assuming, of course, I'm not packing the pony on that dive.)

Fin on,
Bryan

I agree with eponym. I want to be able to see what's in the tank while using it so I can cautiously ascend and still do a safety stop. I just got a Genesis compact pressure gauge on a hose.

I would prefer the mini-SPGs. Why? Because once you're on the pony, you are immediately heading to the surface, or will be going there shortly. On your stop at 15 feet, you really don't need to know exacly how much air you have, just a good enough idea that you won't suck it dry and dash to the surface. So basically it would be whichever one you liked the best. The mini ones are nice also because that's one less hose you've got. The big ones are nice because they're, well, big.

eponym, how much was that SPG?? That looks like it would fill the bill for our needs.

I take a different view....the little guage is a waste of money. You take a breath or two before each dive to test it out....and after a couple of dives have it topped off. The guages are hard to read...not all that accurate considering the size of the tank...and you sure wont be able to look at them underwater. So...I would rather spend my money on something else.

All the above determined after buying one.

If you like it...cool. Go for it.
rich

I use the button gauge and like it. While not at all easy to read, I can check my pressure before the dive without a problem. I sling my pony pressurized with the valve turned off. During the dive I can occasionally repressurize it and, with some difficulty, check the spg to make sure there are no big surprises. If forced to the pony, I'm not too worried about remaining pressure knowing that I started with a "full" tank with enough gas to safely termionate the dive and my options are now somewhat limited. If I run out of gas at the rest stop, life will go on.

MikeC:
eponym, how much was that SPG?? That looks like it would fill the bill for our needs.
It cost me just under a hundred bucks US at my local dive shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom