Pony bottle questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc once bubbled...

The UPSIDE is that you will be alive to dive another day. I don't mind losing a dive, as long as my buddy or I do not lose our lives... or sustain an injury from not having enough gas.

Pete,

That’s always a good thing obviously.

However, the discussion was a comparison between two HP120 singles versus a single set of doubles. In either case with proper gas management, you always have sufficient air to get yourself and your buddy safely to the surface. In the comparison, with singles you get back on the boat with a full HP120 waiting for you for the second dive. With doubles you may not have sufficient gas to safely make the second dive.

I suppose that there is a very small possibility of this happening. First, your buddy would have to experience some type of catastrophic failure to need to share air, secondly it would have to happen near the end of the first dive to use enough air to make it an issue, and thirdly you would have to find a different buddy for the second dive since your buddy no longer has a working air source and/or sufficient gas.

Just thought it was something to think about.

Mike

MikeS once bubbled...
However, the discussion was a comparison between two HP120 singles versus a single set of doubles. In either case with proper gas management, you always have sufficient air to get yourself and your buddy safely to the surface. In the comparison, with singles you get back on the boat with a full HP120 waiting for you for the second dive. With doubles you may not have sufficient gas to safely make the second dive. Mike

I don't mean to be flippant, but there are no disadvantages to diving doubles over singles, other than the added weight and bulk. The scenario you give is so unlikely as to be irrelevant.

You are right about having to offset a greater gas weight. I have not found this to be a problem, especially after doing some training that removed 16 pounds from my belt. Most people dive with way too much lead anyway, and are offsetting that weight on every dive.

forgot to mention...you only need one SPG, not multiple.

Also, having all that gas makes you use less gas. Somehow you are a lot more relaxed in the water knowing that you have a ton of gas on your back, with two independent delivery systems.

are real issues though, and ones you can't (or at least shouldn't!) ignore.

This is particularly true when boat diving and you have to climb that ladder with the gear. Many people think this is no big deal, and on a dead-calm day, they're right.

Now do the same dives when there's a 3-4' sea out there!

Since exertion post-dive is a KNOWN aggrevator of DCS.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom