Pony bottle question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Going back to the OP question, proper training is needed when seeking to do solo dives and dives deeper than 100ft. In those classes you should cover proper gas management. After the class you should gain the knowledge and skills to conduct the dives safely. The answer to your questions will be revealed:cool:

FYI -the original post mentioned dives deeper than 100ft:rolleyes:

What is magic about 100 feet? If the back gas is sized to the dive plan and the aux bottle is proportionate to the back gas then all should be well.

The needs of a solo certified diver, granted, are possibly less than a buddy team dive if y'all insist upom acounting for double and triple failures then I guess your aux supply requirement just doubled. I would not do that but I understand there is a difference of thought here and level of acceptable risk.

And somewhere in this thread was something about solo below 100 feet not a recreational dive. The SDI Advanced Diver Solo cert is recreational and does not restrict depth beyond what is acceptable for any rec dive.

N

So forgive me - when or why would you need a transfill whip?

I have bought a whip for myself to fill from a cascade system that is used for different purposes. But I fill my tanks and go dive. When would you need to transfer from one tank to another? I am very curious...
Thanks
For me its a quick and easy way to fill my 13 cf. True, I can't get a complete fill but good enough, especially when I use the HP 120 with a "cave fill."

And somewhere in this thread was something about solo below 100 feet not a recreational dive. The SDI Advanced Diver Solo cert is recreational and does not restrict depth beyond what is acceptable for any rec dive.

N

Well, you're talking about training that's beyond the normal recreational certification. I think that's quite different than regular old OW training from the likes of PADI. I would say that any solo diving is 'technical' in nature because the standard OW training relies totally on the buddy system for safety. So I don't know if you call the SDI solo cert 'technical' or 'specialized' but it's definitely beyond the scope of normal OW training.

I'm not insinuating that anyone without a solo certification is unqualified for solo diving and/or bailout bottle use. But I don't think that carrying a bailout bottle (of any size!) is a good substitute for specialized training.

---------- Post added May 20th, 2015 at 01:57 PM ----------

I use this too, in fact the generous couv gave me the fittings to modify a HP hose. It works great but it's veeerrrryyyy slowwwww.

There is no magic diving below 100feet but there are a few extra skills and knowledge to be learnt. Now some where along the line of training if OP is certified should have learnt or if not certified then need to seek training.

Sdi solo certification is recreational level, hence under recreation banner SDI. If the op missed the lectures in previous training then they go over it again in the solo course.

I have bought a whip for myself to fill from a cascade system that is used for different purposes. But I fill my tanks and go dive. When would you need to transfer from one tank to another? I am very curious...
Thanks

A transfill whip is incredibly useful. What if you use your pony bottle or it leaks? Top it off on the boat.
What if you have ridiculously large steel tanks(like me) and often do no-deco dives? Answer: I can whip between tanks and often squeak out 3 dives on one big tank and then get two more dives on the other big tank (by whipping tanks)... I can do 5 dives on two tanks, and if I am solo and carry a pony bottle, I don't need to save a whole lotta gas in the main tank to rescue a buddy. If you are doing multi-day trips the whip is especially useful, but you do normally want to have a gauge on it.

I use this too, in fact the generous couv gave me the fittings to modify a HP hose. It works great but it's veeerrrryyyy slowwwww.
I've never timed it but it doesn't seem too long. Most of the time its just adding a little extra gas. The exception is after airline travel but even then I don't think its taken more than 10 minutes if that.

Thanks

It was stated in this thread essentially that carrying a "pony" bottle on an airliner would require a VIP upon arrival at the dive destination because of the legal necessity to remove the valve. While I have never had this issue I admit to not traveling extensively with an auxiliary bottle. But after taking the SDI Solo course which does require a pony for solo and my desire to use the card for solo from charter and vacation resorts I felt the need to conform to the standard. So thus working on a new light weight travel whip. I will install my own valve, as I have always done and fill my auxiliary bottle from the resort tanks or a rental tank. That way no hassle for a VIP just because I removed the valve by an over zealous tank pumper.

Look, really, I do not care what size tanks you guys use. I know what has worked for me for four and half decades. Your results may vary. Thing is there seems to be an awful lot of confusion, general confusion, concerning sizing of the pony to the main, the purpose of a pony (auxiliary) bottle for single tank diving (solo or buddy and the difference in application of the pony for each) and a confusion with the difference in technique and actual use of a pony augmented single tank rigs compared to ID rigs. And confusion over the general application of the Rule of Thirds as applied to IDs and auxiliary augmented single tanks rigs and the implications thereof by the rule on those systems, by those who are practitioners of the rule and even those who are not.

I have probably only added to the confusion all in all, sorry for that.

N

I have never had anyone require a VIP for my pony while traveling with it. I reinstall the valve at the destination and the operator simply fills the cylinder. Of course, it could happen.

For many of the reasons mentioned in the posts above, I think the purchase of a whip is in my future too, not that many things I can think of to buy

I have never had anyone require a VIP for my pony while traveling with it. I reinstall the valve at the destination and the operator simply fills the cylinder. Of course, it could happen.

For many of the reasons mentioned in the posts above, I think the purchase of a whip is in my future too, not that many things I can think of to buy
To my limited experience, if the arrival dive shop reinstalls the valve for you then there is a VIP charge. If you just arrive at the shop reassempled tank in hand with a current VIP...

To my limited experience, if the arrival dive shop reinstalls the valve for you then there is a VIP charge. If you just arrive at the shop reassempled tank in hand with a current VIP...

Which countries are we talking about here? I don't think I've ever noticed a VIP sticker in Coz or some of the other Caribbean Islands I've been to :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom