Pony bottle mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba70

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got a new 19cf pony bottle that I am looking to be able mount to my tank. This is only meant to be a redundant air source, not a stage bottle. I'm interested to hear what the opinions are about mounting it valve up, or valve down. Any advice, or reasoning would be greatly appreciated.

I use a pony mounted vlv up in a custom holder attached to the BC's tank strap with a Reef SCUBA Pony Tamer X-Bracket (see LeisurePro). The pony is removeable from the holder so to be given to a diver in distress. The second stg is secured with an elastic cord to a neck strap (see Lifeguard Systems) and can be pulled free. Put the hose under your (right) arm. Use a button pressure gauge threaded directly into a first stg hp port.

I have my 19cuft attached to my tank using a Dive Rite Remora. Works not to bad. It's positioned so that I can reach the valve with my right hand and pull out the regulator which is bungled to the pony bottle. An SPG is clipped to my right D ring where I can see it.

I have my 19cuft attached to my tank using a Dive Rite Remora. Works not to bad. It's positioned so that I can reach the valve with my right hand and pull out the regulator which is bungled to the pony bottle. An SPG is clipped to my right D ring where I can see it.

I am usually very supportive of people rigging their gear to suit their own needs, but rigging a back mounted pony and having the second stage bungied to the pony bottle behind you sounds like a "bad idea". I would worry about problems with deployment, primarily.

I'm pretty happy with my pony second stage secured around my neck with a strap.

The best pony bracket that we have ever sold and used is the Quick Draw Bracket. It is a little bit expensive at $139.00 but well worth it. We have sold it to all of our Police and Fire Depts., and all of them love it.

That is the bracket I am using, and I love it. I was really interested in hearing about different reasons people mount it valve up, or down.

Check out the ponease bottle mount ... Ponease pony bottle brackets .... it mounts to any cam strap...your own or rental.

I mount mine upside down so that as my right hand falls naturally back it lands on the valve. I route the hose up my right side with the reg under my chin. If you go that route...upside down....be aware to mount the tank high enough so when you set your rig down you dont bang the valve on the pony.

Each to his own.

For myself, the valve is up because 1) I won't bang it putting down my rig, 2) reaching the valve is not important, it is on for the dive just like my main tank's valve, 3) it is less likely to come out of the holder on its own (darn gravity!), 4) Someone above (deck or shore) can easily replace my pony.

I do agree with RICHinNY's "Each to his own", until it becomes a team effort.

I'm curious why you all chose to mount it rather than sling it? What are the advantages to you?

To get used to it since I'm going Tech. I used to backmount it, loved it too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom