Pony bottle for hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reeldive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Who uses one? What size? Do you mount it on your tank or sling it on you side?

sling on the right whether it's deco gas,stage or pony.
Backmounts can and do kill people when higher po2 mixes are used.Even super-safe rocket scientists who always mark thier regs:shakehead:

We're lobster hunters here. That means we are down on the sand and a front mounted pony won't work because sand will get in all the wrong places. A back mount pony is needed, but we had 2 challenges that needed to be overcome.

1. Need a small but adequate bottle so it would be used EVERY dive. Not left at home while on vacation dives, it gets packed in my luggage. For my type of diving, that's a 6cuft, but re-considering to a 13.

2. A majority of my dives involve sharks. Buddy breathing is a less desirable option compared to just handing off my pony to a panic'd diver. It's hard to shove off sharks if someone's hanging on your octo in a panic. Or if you have to drop your rig quickly. So it had to be removable underwater.

I dive with a 6cuft pony that is upside-down back mounted with slippable elastic bands. With my right hand I can reach behind, grab and pull the pony and use it or hand it off.

DSC02781.jpg

I also have a button gauge on it so I can watch my pressure as I head up and slow my breathing down so I know that I have time to go slow. I also have a leash on it, because wouldn't that just suck to drop your pony to the sand after you pull it!

DSC02782.jpg

I dive in about 95ft usually and even though you never are 100% out of air on the bottom, if you start up as soon as a problem appears, you will have enough air to make it to the surface alive and not bent.

Remember, equipment doesn't kill, Panic kills!

100days-a-year:
sling on the right whether it's deco gas,stage or pony.
Backmounts can and do kill people when higher po2 mixes are used.Even super-safe rocket scientists who always mark thier regs:shakehead:
I only dive air at rec limits weather spearing or photo so the p02 isn't a consideration. Does side mouting seam to get in the way while Spearing? Haven'y tried it yet. I use a 19cf pony back slung on my main tank as a bailout bottle and redundant air source incase of buddy seperation. I've found that in most spearfishing dives Buddies are usually seperated by more than a few fin kicks and complete redundancy makes sense. I see a lot of 13cf tanks out there and all have been back mounted. Looking for other ideas here. any suggestions on how to rig a bottle for side slinging? One that don't break the bank

Slick rig johnoly. Thanks for the pix's

When hunting I mount a 40 cuft on my back to use as a bail bottle in case something goes very wrong. I back mount becuase I have found that spearfishing while slinging a bottle to be a huge PITA. That being said, I agree with 1000days. That is why I do NOT spearfish with deco gas, or really even do deco-spearfishing. I know some people do, but FOR ME there is too much to go wrong...for instance having a mandatory 15 minute stop at 10 feet and an aggressive animal on my a--. Anyway, I usually have air in the bail bottle, or ensure the MOD of the mix in the bail bottle is not going to be an issue. Finally, I NEVER use that 40 cuft in my gas planning or management. It is just there because, let's face, most spearfishing is solo diving...at least the spearfishing I do is. I dont worry about handing it off because whenever we hit the water most of us take off in a different direction within three minutes. I like the idea of having three 1st stages and two independent cylinders (I use H-valves too).

This works for me.

Johnoly's rig is a good homemade version of what Zeagle now produces.

The RaZor valve/first stage combination really saves bulk & weight.

http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?src...AirSourcesQuickDeployPony&category=Regulators

Here's another way of mounting a pony with our zip on/zip off system for Zeagle BCs. Notice it's under the wing. I prefer a standard length hose so that I would not have to hold the bottle, which frees up that hand.

I agree with Johnoly also about front or side sling mounting problems. It gets in the way while loading guns and entanglement while subduing big fish could be very dangerous.

Chad

Chad Carney:
The RaZor valve/first stage combination really saves bulk & weight.

http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?src...AirSourcesQuickDeployPony&category=Regulators

Chad

Scott's holding out on us, I've never seen this! I friggin Love it!! I hope this wasn't supposed to be a DEMA surprise, but he/you need to post this up on Spearboard so they can see it.

I still would like to see a yoke 1st stage/Valve so I can interchange parts that break on a dive trip, but his whole setup and concept are far superior to any mount I've seen on the market. Nice Job Zeagle!!

J,

We've had this out for about a year, with the quick deploy bag. Maybe 2 years with the previous pony mount.

I like the RaZor valve/reg because it's so small and light, but standard yoke or din valves can be used too. We have 4 cu ft tanks as well, but they're just a few inches shorter than the 6, so we don't show a pony model with them.

It's been on Spearboard too.

We have advertised this and our quick deploy signal tubes quite a bit.

Chad

I wear mine on the right side as I cock on the left.As far as entanglements,it's a lot easier to clear one you can see than one behind your back.The smaller ones most guys use would fit in the slipstream under your arm pretty easy.Almost all of my spearfishing is deco from after the first dive.A slung pony has never slowed me up,I manage to get by shooting soso #s of fish and bugs:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom