Pony Bottle Flooded- Best Approach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I just went to detach my 13 cu ft Luxfer pony bottle from its mount so I could take it over to have it hydro'ed. It was heavier than normal and when I shook it, there was LOTS of water inside (about half full). Not sure how long it has been sitting like that, possibly 2-4 weeks since it was out of hydro and I wasn't using it.

Questions for those who are in the know:

1. How should I best deal with the flooded cylinder? I removed the Thermo valve and have the open tank and valve soaking in hot fresh water right now.

2. Do you think the tank will be worth hydro'ing?

3. Should I do anything else with the valve itself to ensure its usability (I can always use a spare if the tank is no good)?

4. Has anyone else had problems with the Luxfer 13 cu ft pony and Thermo valves? This one had trouble retaining a fill within months after I purchased it. I had the neck ring replaced numerous times, but it still failed (leaking) which may have been due to electrolysis of the tank valve seat (I dive steel primary cylinders). The valve itself often did not seal properly over the last year or so.

I've purchased a new Catalina pony since I'm not happy with the Luxfer.

Thanks for any suggestions from the equipment techies... although I dive incessantly, I'm really just a marine biologist who dives, not a seasoned equipment monkey.

drbill:
I just went to detach my 13 cu ft Luxfer pony bottle from its mount so I could take it over to have it hydro'ed. It was heavier than normal and when I shook it, there was LOTS of water inside (about half full). Not sure how long it has been sitting like that, possibly 2-4 weeks since it was out of hydro and I wasn't using it.

Questions for those who are in the know:

1. How should I best deal with the flooded cylinder? I removed the Thermo valve and have the open tank and valve soaking in hot fresh water right now.

2. Do you think the tank will be worth hydro'ing?

3. Should I do anything else with the valve itself to ensure its usability (I can always use a spare if the tank is no good)?

4. Has anyone else had problems with the Luxfer 13 cu ft pony and Thermo valves? This one had trouble retaining a fill within months after I purchased it. I had the neck ring replaced numerous times, but it still failed (leaking) which may have been due to electrolysis of the tank valve seat (I dive steel primary cylinders). The valve itself often did not seal properly over the last year or so.

I've purchased a new Catalina pony since I'm not happy with the Luxfer.

Thanks for any suggestions from the equipment techies... although I dive incessantly, I'm really just a marine biologist who dives, not a seasoned equipment monkey.

It sounds like this tank and valve were bothersome to begin with. You could always throw the valve into an ultrasonic cleaner + rebuild the thing. I would inspect the cylinder threads carefully as well as the sealing surface inside the neck. If it's pitted, scarred or plain buggered I would just get another bottle and valve since it's out of hydro.

A question...was it serviced at a local dive shop in Avalon?

Seems to me that the water incursion is more of an indicator than a problem in and of itself. Your rinsing should have taken care of any threat of corrosion damage. But I see no sense in having it hydro'd until you find and correct whatever is allowing pressure out and the ocean in. Sound to me like you made a dive with an empty pony and the gas laws did what they were supposed to. If you can't refill that tank so you can do some troubleshooting, you will probably have to enlist some LDS help.

Dr. Bill, This is the same set-up I use, so I'll be interested in the responses. Like you I am no equipment expert. At minimum I would have it thougoughly cleaned and visualed. Did you breath it dry, on purpose, under water? Can't imagine how that much water got in there. Do you have an angry girlfriend? Dave

The tank was visualed at a local shop, but I doubt they are at fault for this. There is so much pitting and corrosion on the tank itself that I feel it is the result of either a bad tank or, more likely, the electrolysis I mentioned. With the new pony I'll be adding some zincs to eliminate that problem.

The neck seal never really seemed to be secure after the first year or so of use (I've had it 4+ years). Again, I think this is due to the electrolysis.

However the Thermo valve failed to close on more than one occasion as well.

It is strange because I leave my pony valve off when I dive, just charging the reg with air before I start my dive. I've never had to use the pony. Somehow the valve was left open... perhaps I didn't close it properly, but I should have heard the bubbles.

Will dive with the new pony this weekend!

if you get tried of working on itand thinking of throwing it out send it my way. ill play with it for a while t see if i can get it to work

Bro...for what they cost, and what you stand to loose......I would torch that baby and go new. I saw them on ebay new, with a convert. valve for 100 bucks. Pretty cheap insurance. Would REALLY suck to reach back there to find a bottle of water when thats not what you were looking for.

drbill:
The tank was visualed at a local shop, but I doubt they are at fault for this. There is so much pitting and corrosion on the tank itself that I feel it is the result of either a bad tank or, more likely, the electrolysis I mentioned. With the new pony I'll be adding some zincs to eliminate that problem.

The neck seal never really seemed to be secure after the first year or so of use (I've had it 4+ years). Again, I think this is due to the electrolysis.

However the Thermo valve failed to close on more than one occasion as well.

It is strange because I leave my pony valve off when I dive, just charging the reg with air before I start my dive. I've never had to use the pony. Somehow the valve was left open... perhaps I didn't close it properly, but I should have heard the bubbles.

Will dive with the new pony this weekend!

Hey Dr. Bill...ideally the LDS dive shop (which I know all too well and not too crazy about) should be using a di-electric silicon when re-assembling your brass/steel valve to your AL tank. It's Dow Corning 111.

I personally wouldn't add a sacrificial metal to my tank to stop corrosion. In fact, I have never seen it on anything except someone's luxury yacht in the harbor. I have a feeling that something else is getting to it...like the constant ravages of Catalina sea air. A good rinse and storing it away from the sea air would help a lot. We had a bunch of cylinders outside for a while and they got crappy after a while due to the sun & constant sea air. Outdoor shacks just don't cut it. :)

Personally, I don't dive ponys 13, or 20's. Perhaps you could sling the thing like a stage bottle if it were large enough like a 30, or 40 ciu. This way you can energize the tank & monitor for leakage since the bailout would always be in plain sight?

Just my two Buffalo nickels... have the best time diving beautiful Catalina Island.

dbg40- As I posted initially, I've already purchased a new pony. I'm only thinking of getting the old one hydro'ed as a back up. My life is definitely worth $100 (although not much more).

Mr.X- There is more than one LDS here on Catalina. Are you sure you know which one I'm using? I'm very comfortable with my choice there. I do rinse my tank and place it in a protected area out of the sun when not in use. I actually lilve up on top of one of the hills so I'm not close enough to the water to have a real problem with salt spray, etc. As for your two Buffalo nickels, wish that would buy us two Buffalo milks so we could sit and talk!

drbill:
dbg40- As I posted initially, I've already purchased a new pony. I'm only thinking of getting the old one hydro'ed as a back up. My life is definitely worth $100 (although not much more).

Mr.X- There is more than one LDS here on Catalina. Are you sure you know which one I'm using? I'm very comfortable with my choice there. I do rinse my tank and place it in a protected area out of the sun when not in use. I actually lilve up on top of one of the hills so I'm not close enough to the water to have a real problem with salt spray, etc. As for your two Buffalo nickels, wish that would buy us two Buffalo milks so we could sit and talk!

You're absolutely correct. My myopia regarding one dive business obviously affects my objectivity. Buffalo milk..gawk...I'll go for a Big Olaf's though. Take it easy. Mr. X - Not in Catalina anymore. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom