Pony bottle configuration

Pony placement and set up

• No pony or spare air

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • You wear a pony on your back tank

Votes: 40 38.1%
  • you wear a pony on your side

Votes: 47 44.8%
  • you're opposed to wearing a pony, why?

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is completely directed to you mech...

So far, in this hobby, I've encountered a few people like you.... People who think they are smarter than anyone and everyone around them just because they have been certified. I do agree that you are not ready to dive until certified... of course! but...You need to realize that you are a little narced! You keep saying how he shouldn't ask that question until he is ceritified...???? That's like telling a kid not to ask any questions until he/she is grown up and educated... Guess whaT??? YOU CAN NOT BECOME EDUCATED UNTIL YOU ASK QUESTIONS!

I really think that Tank was right about asking this question instead of just going and doing what he wanted and possibly risking injury or death!

You need to stop trying to teach people what you don't know and start asking questions yourself... AND YOU CAN phase into tek diving... it is an expression people use when they are wanting to move from one action onto a similar action by taking the necessary steps...

Maybe you should learn to read your dive tables and not stay under too long next time, because you seem to have permanent narcosis.... Either that, or you just didn't ask enough questions as a kid.

I've never had go to my pony in an emergency yet (I've probably only taken it on 30 dives or so). I've practiced passing it off, sharing from it, and just about everything else you can do with a 40cu stage bottle with my dive buddy. With the nice clean halcyon kit, it's very easy to handle even in less than perfect conditions.

For me, I usually take my pony along on dives 50' and deeper. I'm confident I can swim up from shallower if my buddy is not available. I'm an experienced free diver and I work hard on breath holding. The exception to this would be if I was doing penetration work, or if I was alone, or if it's night, in which case I bring the pony along regardless of depth.

Now that I'm being to train for deco diving (w/ TRIMIX) and diving below 100', I'm purchasing doubles, and, eventually, my pony will become a deco bottle. Right now I'm hessitant to do any penetration at 100' with my hp120 and 40stage, although some people might be confortable with that ammount of gas.

So, in general, the people I know that dive with pony bottles do so because they dive at a realtivley deep depth, but, don't stay that long (and don't use much air) and, therefore can not justify the cost or hassel of doubles. For example, a non-deco dive to 100' will only 10-20minutes, not much gas wil be used, but, as you need to make saftey stops on any dive to this depth, it's nice to have a 40cu pony (or even an 80 if you use a ton of gas).

By the way... you are right, he did state that he was novice.... He did not although state that he was stupid! which is what you made him out to be. Everybody has the right to an opinion in life...and so do you...I'm not trying to shut you up, but I do strongly believe that everyone deserves a chance for advancement and by advancing, I mean learning.

It is better to have asked and been proven wrong than to have assumed and not lived to be proven right.

It is also better to be quiet than to say something and to later be proven wrong by the one who assumed and did live to be right.

bubblemaker once bubbled...
This is completely directed to you mech...

So far, in this hobby, I've encountered a few people like you.... People who think they are smarter than anyone and everyone around them just because they have been certified. I do agree that you are not ready to dive until certified... of course! but...You need to realize that you are a little narced! You keep saying how he shouldn't ask that question until he is ceritified...???? That's like telling a kid not to ask any questions until he/she is grown up and educated... Guess whaT??? YOU CAN NOT BECOME EDUCATED UNTIL YOU ASK QUESTIONS!

I really think that Tank was right about asking this question instead of just going and doing what he wanted and possibly risking injury or death!

You need to stop trying to teach people what you don't know and start asking questions yourself... AND YOU CAN phase into tek diving... it is an expression people use when they are wanting to move from one action onto a similar action by taking the necessary steps...

Maybe you should learn to read your dive tables and not stay under too long next time, because you seem to have permanent narcosis.... Either that, or you just didn't ask enough questions as a kid.

Okay, I see your reading comprehension isn't going anywhere, and that I gave you the benefit of the doubt concerning your earlier post. "Bout nuff said there...

Gee there bubba, ya went an called me names and now I'm all kinda fogged up.
Okay, I'm over it...

bubblemaker once bubbled...
I wasnt trying to get to you... I just dont like it when people are pompous... you need to relax.

Pompous is bad.

I like being right all the time, but I'm not pompous about it.

Mech, I understand your point as it was made. I appreciate your concern for another person who loves the sport, but at a different skill/experience level than yourself. I suppose I should have stated that I was planning on completing my 2 PADI wreck certs with a reputible instructor, and was planning on doing most of my entry level tek dives with a diver who has 32 years of deco wreck diving under his belt, including over a dozen dives on the Andrea. I haven't gotten the chance to speak with him yet about what I might need to prepare myself equipment wise for this kind of training and diving, so I decided to consult the knowledge of the group. After all, even an experienced person such as him doesn't know everything, and there might just be a tidbit of information that I pick up from someone on here that I can pass on to him that he may not have thought of. I am not a stupid person, and I do not make stupid descisions. I realize that you cannot assume everyone has the ability to make the right decision at the right time, but there is a way of determining whether that is the case whilst not offending them. You see, there are people who might have gotten offended enough at you to completely disregard what advice you may have given them on training, etc., then end up going out and hurting themselves senslessly. That wouldn't be your fault, but maybe if you took the time to coerse that person into a balanced decision, they may do the right thing. If you do not feel that you want the responsibility or you don't want to take the time to do that, no problem, but then saying nothing at all my be more benificial. Once again, I appreciate your intensions, I was a little offended, but a little offended is alot easier to get over than death, right? :)

So, I warmly invite you to share your experience about this subject with me if you so choose, as I still do have alot of questions. If you prefer not to, no worries, but rest assured, I won't be making any risky dives without the proper training and guidance.

Regards

Tank,

Sounds like you should look into doubles.

So, back to the 120al, how do you like it? Around here (NE) lots of us of are looking to dive with heavy tanks since we dive dry and have to carry alot of weight. Do you dive w/out a wet suit? Lots of warm water dives choose al cylinders to avoid being overweihed (espically if they have a bp as well). As I posted I currently dive with a 120hp and for nodeco diving it really is alot of air.

When I first came of this board, on the advice of my LDS, I was alrl set to backmount a 30cu pony and I really got flamed hard by sb members. But, I decided to go with the stage instead and it was the right choice.

I'm sure you see a ton of "tourist" divers down there, but, as long as you train hard (and follow the advice of yoru instructor) you don't have to dive like one. Lots and lots of people have died in overhead envirnoments there's not alot of room for error.

Tank
I have seen a fair share of people bothered by a response of someone else. You handled that very well! I'm sure Mech was honestly looking out for you in his own way. If you paroose some of his responses, he does a good job of communicating. You won't have to look far to see the reverse!
Wreck/Tec

MASS-Diver:

Yep, I think you're right, I think doubles sound like a good way to go. Do you mind on giving me a quick rundown of how the manifold works? What kind of flow control do you have with one, how do you obtain redundancy, what is the reg setup, etc. I have no experience with manifolds at all, other than I know they tie two tanks together.

As far as the AL120, I think you might have misunderstood. I stated in my second post that I currently use an AL100. In my first post I said that I was considering an AL120 as the primary air source for my rig. If I go get one, it will probably be soon, and I will let you know how it is, but to be honest, if I do go with a double setup, twin 120's might be a bit much. What do you think?

And yes, I see a ton of tourist divers here!!!! Quite a few from the UK, but to be honest, from the ones I have talked to they seem to be more experienced than myself. There are still quite a few people that come here on vacation who are trying diving out for the first time (along with snorkeling, parasailing, boating, etc.) just to say they tried everything FL has to offer. I suppose I take alot for granted living here! :)

Wreck/Tec:
Thanks for your kind comments regarding my response. I did a bit of reading around the board, and I agree, Mech was likely acting in my best interest, and he sounds like a very knowledgable gent. I hope he knows there are no bad feelings on my part. And you know... I went back and read my first post a couple of times, and it could have totally been construed as a VERY novice diver about to make a potentially deadly mistake. I apologize for not being a bit more descriptive about my request.

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom