Pony Bottle/BC Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mow2000

Registered
Reaction score
I almost hate to ask this question... might be kind of radical. but here goes. Anyone know of a pony bottle/bc setup. Maybe 19 cubic foot. I'd like to have a real basic, light setup for shallow water diving (while my girlfriend snorkels above). I'm thinking just a regulator and pressure gauge. Maybe not even a bc but just a tank holder.

rapiddiver.com but even as poor as today's scuba instruction is you really need to have instruction before using any scuba gear even in shallow water or even a swimming pool.

Yeah, just get a 19, stick it in your weight belt (which will have a only a few pounds on it), who needs a BC, people dove for decades and still do without a BC. SPG, what for?

N

I've often thought about the same kind of thing. Basically for when snorkelling with friends, but then something interesting appears and I'd like to be able to stay down more than a few seconds), or when on a non diving holiday, it can be taken 'just in case'.
Personally I wouldn't (and couldn't) afford to pay $1000 for something like the Rapid Diver for this application. I'd be doing it this way:-

XS Scuba Pony Pack Harness $82
ponypac.jpg

Mares M12 Rebel Reg $199
MR12Rebel.jpg

19' Pony Tank $115
ponytanks.jpg

Pony Bottle Gauge $45
ponygauge.jpg

All said and done and ready to go for $440. Even cheaper if you have a SCUBA setup from which you can borrow the regulator or have a spare one already.

That's it! That's exactly what i was thinking. I would probably strip down my regulator and use it. I believe scuba tanks aren't allowed on airlines so the only hitch might be renting a 19cf at my destination.

you can take a 19 in checked baggage but it has to be empty with valve removed

Why not just sling it across your chest? A little rope, a few snap bolts, you're all set. I've used this setup a couple of times to work on my in-law's pool drain.

And I've had no problems taking my 19cf in my carry-on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom