Pony/Argon bottle question ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandman98007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking to attach my argon bottle to my twins versus having it attached to my back plate. Does anyone have a suggention as to the best system to get this done. I am looking for a bracket/bands that will allow for easy dumping and good security.

I am getting a little tires of my bottle jabbing me in the ribs every time I inflate my wing.

Appreciate the advise.

Tim

sandman98007:
I am looking to attach my argon bottle to my twins versus having it attached to my back plate. Does anyone have a suggention as to the best system to get this done. I am looking for a bracket/bands that will allow for easy dumping and good security.
Most people I know use the AL14 bottle (which is 2015 PSI compared to 3000 PSI for most others that size). You can couple that with a standard DIN valve and a cheap regulator.

Some people prefer diaphragm first stages (with the IP adjusted way down), but I also see plenty of people with piston regs as well. Just make sure the reg has an OPV (Over-Pressure Valve) on it, to prevent 2000 PSI from going into your drysuit if the first stage fails.

For attaching to the tanks, I use the Halcyon straps. They are quite secure, while still allowing the bottle to be easily removed in the water. I would not recommend any hard brackets or bands or other metal-to-metal connections.

I know there are a couple of dealers on SB who sell this kind of stuff, so I am sure they will chime in with their thoughts as well. :wink:

I note you are located in Tacoma.....

If you're planning on going inside wrecks (uh....don't plan on going inside wet caves in the PNW...TTBOMK there are none...) then consideration should be given to the nylon/velcro straps. I have them, I use them, they work fine.

If you're primarily diving in Puget Sound, Hood Canal, or up in the San Juans, however, (and because of the locations you're not entering inside any tangible overhead) then some sort of bracket such as a pony tamer will also work well. You are essentially going to be conducting deeper open water diving for the majority of your dives.

By the way, these guys are close to you and they offer some very nice diving which is relatively convenient to your location:
http://www.pacadventure.com/index.htm

Best,

Doc

Thanks for the advise. I will consider both options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom