Pompano shore dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Trigger-F, I'm going to be in Pompano/Lauderdale in December. I'd love to do some diving while there. Is it worthwhile to bring my gear? Can you tell me a little more about the diving there?

I'm guessing December gets pretty chilly!

Hi Scoobajay: I would say it's worth bringing your own gear if you are going to do a few dives. I mostly shore dive in that area. There's quite a few entry points (Datura Ave in Lauderdale By the Sea, Pompano Beach (anywhere from the Pompano Pier south, there's metered parking spaces on 4th, 6th, 8th, 12th streets.) You may need to swim all the way out to the Drop Off though, roughly 450 yards (before that there's patch reefs but INMO the better diving starts at the Drop Off.) Also, there's always good or acceptable visibility at the Drop Off vs the patch reefs closer to the beach. There's very little current too, so it's an easy dive(minus the long swim).

December is not bad, you should be good with a 3mm wet suit. I dove in Jan/Feb this year and wore a skin underneath and a 3 mil wet suit on top.

The reefs further out are better but you need a boat to get to those (here's some info on different dive sites).

Error 404 Not Found | South Florida Diving Headquarters

Great website! Thanks!

Shark Reef sounds right up my alley :) So, you can just rent tanks and essentially dive anywhere you can find parking? Dive guides not required?

Oh, and any suggestions on where to rent tanks and get fills?

Last edited:
Yes, pretty much from Hilsboro Inlet/Lighthouse down to Lauderdale by the Sea, or in a way even all the way down to North Miami Beach, the reef runs very close to the beach, so you can shore dive wherever you can find parking. I stop at Force-E Scuba on Federal Hwy to fill my tanks. I'm not a local, so perhaps others who live down there can provide more info. I don't think dive guides are required unless someone is not experienced (best to have a dive buddy though). Also, you need to have a dive flag; there's a lot of boats in the area and jet-skis...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom