Pompano Beach incident - 62 yo diver @ 200'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aue-mike:
There are several wrecks in the area where you can hit 200, but the LOWRANCE is one of the most popular.

"not that many", "several", seems pretty close to the same thing, but thanks for clearing up my imprecise use of language. :)

For what it is worth, the dive operators I talked to yesterday about the accident had not heard any updates on the status of the injured diver.

The man doing the dive was experienced. He did a lot of tech diving and had been doing so for a very long time. I work on a boat out in Pompano and knew him personally. Very very nice man and good diver. It's such a sad loss. Why he bolted to the surface is not yet known. It could be anything from equipment failure to panic to anything. It probably won't be known for sure. This just goes to show you that even the most experienced diver is not invincible.

Well guys he died yesterday morning. Amazing that he even made it overnight. Just goes to show you that anyone, even the most experienced divers can be easily killed.

daniel f aleman:
Yep, that's the way we did it in the 1960-70's - but, we were in our 20's, not our 60's. And the punishment for a too rapid an ascent was the same...

I am throwing the BS flag on this. If you are 49 like it says on your profile (even if it was in 2005) you were not diving in the 60's or until the late 70's.

"We" is editorial.

I was certified on December, 15, 1973, by Jim Fuller (NAUI) in Austin, Texas at the age of 16 and two months, as I've stated several times in several posts on this board.

At that time we dove 150'-200' all the time without worry...

It was common to dive >150' omar, ask anyone on this board over 45. And a nicely filled out Pubilc Profile that you have...

***MODERATOR POST***

Let's play nice, guys.

***MODERATOR POST***

Scubamanda:
Well guys he died yesterday morning. Amazing that he even made it overnight. Just goes to show you that anyone, even the most experienced divers can be easily killed.
Welcome back to SB, altho sorry you re-joined to bring us bad news. Very sorry for the loss of your friend. We try to omit names in these discussions, as was done one this thread so that relatives running name searches on the net won't hit on our accident discussions - but I guess you recognized the story.

While we want to learn from the accidents and possible mistakes of others, I think we all wish our condolences to all the deceased friends and loved one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom