Polypropylene under wetwuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjenbody

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Has anybody ever worn polypropylene under their wetsuit? I found that polypropylene insulated underwear is far and away the warmest thing you can wear in a cold weather environment, just wondered if they would be effective under a wetsuit.

The purpose of polypropylene is to wick moisure away from the skin. It keeps you warmer because you're dryer. It's not doing that if it's competely saturated.

Anything I can wear under my wetsuit for a little extra insulation? I live in MI and want to dive before July.

rjenbody:
Anything I can wear under my wetsuit for a little extra insulation? I live in MI and want to dive before July.

Try wool long underwear. Wool helps keep you warm even when it's wet.

FWIW. My first Drysuit cost $300 on e-bay. It was a perfect fit. I used it 'til I saved up enough for the suit I wanted. Then I sold it for what I had paid for it!!

rjenbody:

A 7mm suit with a hooded vest should work for just about any dive. The biggest issue (for me) when I dive this is the second dive. A dry suit makes multiple dives in cold water much more pleasant.

If you want to (or have to) stay wet when diving the more properly fitting neoprene the better. Once you get the water in the suit warm you don't want it exchanging with the outside colder water. Good seals and the right fit are key. A hooded vest helps keep your core warm and helps seal the neck and limit water exchange.

I've been using long underwear lately beneath my wetsuit and it is making a bigger difference then I thought it would. I've been pleasantly surprised.

Last weekend I used my old Army cold weather underwear (Polypropylene) under my 7 mill wetsuit. I was at 57' in 50F water for a 41 minute dive. I felt good at the end. When I took off my wetsuit the polypro was a bit damp, but definitely not soaked. I am going to try again next weekend. I did use extra weight (4lbs as an afterthought), but i didn't do a specific weight check.

Lava core under the wetsuit maybe?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I have a Lavacore full skin and a Henderson 17 oz. polyolefin skin that I wore under my 7/5 wetsuit before I got the drysuit. I like both of them. They are neutrally buoyant and don't add to the constriction on the chest that another layer of neoprene does. They say they are equivalent to a 2mm suit for thermal warmth. If you are diving in cold water, the suit openings [ankles, wrists, neck] are sealed [booties, gloves, hood] anyway so there should be no water flow/circulation through the suit. I never did understand why the neoprene wetsuit has to touch the skin anyway. A trick that I use is to drive to the site with the undergarment on and with the heater blasting in order to work up a sweat. By the time I get to the dive site my undergarment is damp all over and I don't need to pour water down the wetsuit. You can probably wear poly or wool or some other synthetic but I think they might add to your buoyancy charcteristic. It depends how much air is in the fabric threads and the weave. I also wear the Lavacore under the drysuit and it works great [with a few other layers of polyester on top.] Eventually you are going to want a drysuit where you live if you get the diving bug.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom