POLL: Who is homebrewing Nitrox/Trimix and for how long now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A "T" bottle of UHP He will be delivered tomorrow, and by tomorrow night I should have my double 104s spiked and ready to have air blown on top of them Wednesday morning for my first Trimix dive this weekend!

Roak

Originally posted by roakey
A "T" bottle of UHP He will be delivered tomorrow, and by tomorrow night I should have my double 104s spiked and ready to have air blown on top of them Wednesday morning for my first Trimix dive this weekend!

Roak
Roak... you only need luck if you're gambling :wink:

Questions:
Is this your first trimix dive or your first home mix or the first this weekend?

What are you using for a gauge?

What is the mix you are shooting for?

How much He are you going to add?

Are you adding O2 also?

Where (and what) are you diving?

Anything else you can add for the inquiring minds?

>>Roak... you only need luck if you're gambling :wink:

Yup, just a figure of speech. :)

>>Questions:
>>Is this your first trimix dive or your first home mix or the first
>>this weekend?

Yes.

Been picking the brain of the guy up in Denver that’s been mixing for the group to make sure I hit my mark. I’ve got all the time in the world to spike the cylinders, so hitting the PP pressures should be an non-issue. I’ll overshoot the He slightly tonight and top off tomorrow morning and put the O2 on top after that (not much O2).

>>What are you using for a gauge?

Psi-Tronix PG-5000. I got mine back when Psi-Tronix would do custom orders so it’s calibrated for 4000 psi, so the .25% accuracy gives me 10 psi resolution. It also doesn’t turn off, something that drives scubaturek nuts with his shop’s gauge. :)

>>What is the mix you are shooting for?

I don't know if I'm happy with the mix chosen by the team, but there's nothing glaringly wrong with it. We're going to 165’ for 15 at an altitude of 5k feet (EOD of 200, gotta love what altitude does to the calculations!) So we're using 20/25 giving us a PPO2 of about 1.2 and an END of about 100. Fortunately we’re driving DOWN to 5k feet, so it’s the return trip that we have to watch out for. We'll probably sit around for some time on the surface/in the hotel sucking on O2 to be conserative (as well as killing a lot of time before leaving). We ascend to about 7k feet about an hour after leaving the site, with an 8k pass about 3 hours out. They're truck scales and a pay phone at the very top of the pass, and there's a DAN sticker on the phone. :)

>>How much He are you going to add?

660 PSI of a possible 2640 PSI (they don’t like cave fills in Colorado).

>>Are you adding O2 also?

142 PSI.

>>Anything else you can add for the inquiring minds?

We’re acting as support for the deep team that’s going to 265’. It’s a sinkhole that’s basically a chimney about 100’ across that starts sloping off at around 200’ or so. No overhead at the depth we’re going, so it is a very KISS dive, just the kind I’m looking for to “test the waters” so to speak. :)

Any sage advice, bring it on!

Roak

Ps. Turns out I do have an REE stamped on my 104s, I just never noticed it before.

We love this stuff!!! Holiday monday i will be diving the Roy A jodrey in thest. lawrence seaway a 700 ft long algoma self unloading laker:D :D

Totally intact! Pug you would love this one Crows nest at 150 , 240 feet to the bottom with a shovel !!

I will be diving a 15/38/47 Tee hee hope you guys have a good dive your self!!

Len

Originally posted by roakey
[B>>What are you using for a gauge?

Psi-Tronix PG-5000.

>>How much He are you going to add?

660 PSI of a possible 2640 PSI (they don’t like cave fills in Colorado).

>>Are you adding O2 also?

142 PSI.
[/B]
Ya know I knew that... duh...

you might want to fudge the He up a little because of compressibility... what do you think Omar? (Beside the issue of only useing 25%.)

Originally posted by ninja
Totally intact! Pug you would love this one Crows nest at 150 , 240 feet to the bottom with a shovel !!
Shoot Len.... I woulda cashed in my frequent flyer miles and joined you if you had let me know sooner and I had any frequent flyer miles.

For sure bump up the he. I add some He and leave out some O2. How much depends on the mix and pressure. I employ a very scientific methode. I guess. After a while you get pretty good at it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom