Votes: 8 26.7%
  • I am keen on purchasing one

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • I would rather purchase some other non-canister light

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After being an avid reader of the numerous posts on this HID light the last few months, I am curious to see what the results of a loose quantification of folks on the board would reveal. Specifically I'd like to see what the actual ratios of problems: no problems with these things are, and how it influences new buyer decisions.

I've owned mine for about 50 dives now and love it. I have had no problems. The white light always makes others green with envy. I am very careful when handling the light and check that the bulb is firmly seated every time I change the batteries. I would also highly recommend 4000mah+ NiMH batteries.

Aaron.

I come back after a week and only find a few piddly poll responses?! Come on all you Light Cannon folks, I KNOW there are more than SIX of you on this board! Vote up!

All the problems we saw with them were very early models. We had about a 1 in 20 failure within a few dives. Now, I don't think we're getting 1 in 200 that ever have a problem.

archman:
I come back after a week and only find a few piddly poll responses?! Come on all you Light Cannon folks, I KNOW there are more than SIX of you on this board! Vote up!
I think that your choices in the poll don't represent a choice for me.

I don't own a Light Canon and therefore can't choose one of the first two choices in the poll.

Although, I am considering purchasing one until I can justify spending the money on a Canister Light, I can't really say I'm "keen" on purchasing one. I read "keen" as "enthusiastic" about getting one. So, I have not cast a vote in that direction.

I'm not really considering another non-canister light as a primary.

Hope this helps.

Christian

Yeah Christian, I specifically worded the poll so that it would not apply to canister light users. That's a different demographic, excepting the canister folks that have light cannons as backups in their dive bags.

Personally my next light will either be a canister HID or an eLED.

Oh look, a few more votes are in. Bring it!

scubatoys:
All the problems we saw with them were very early models. We had about a 1 in 20 failure within a few dives. Now, I don't think we're getting 1 in 200 that ever have a problem.

I bought mine last October. When does the "cutoff" for the earlier models poop out? Can I check a serial number or something? Recall notices from Underwater Kinetics perhaps?

Mine is finickey. Some times it takes several times to get it to turn on. Once it is on it works great.

James

I own one...and I have a cannister light. The LC is now officially the "camera light" as soon as I get a housing. It is wonderful for clear water night diving but sucks royally for any form of underwater passive communication. It has "not" fired on me only once. Battery life is really quite good.

and I guess I would fall into the quirky catagory.( and perhaps into the incidents and accidents forum :11: )

First trip, no problems functioned perfectly.

My second trip with it was to Cozumel and I couldn't get it to fire at the hotel. I finally got it to fire on the boat.

I have done five or six night dives, but this was my first night dive with current.

A few minutes into the dive, which because of delays was started in the dark, it went out again. :11: I deployed my back up light, and worked on stowing my light cannon, in the process of doing this, dropped my back up light, which fortunately was on. I then had to swim into the current to retrieve my back up... whew!!!

I understand none of this was the fault of the light cannon, I also had my camera dangling from my wrist, my first stage was set too high, and banging the back of my head....

I was the posterboy for task loading, and definately learned a lesson. By the way I love the light :eyebrow: , I will just be better prepared next time.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom