• Tech

Votes: 163 71.5%
  • XR

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Other

Votes: 14 6.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, now that we have cured the disease of calling technical tek or tec, let’s discuss the word “torch”.

I always thought torches were something you lit then formed a mob and went up to raid Dr. Frankenstein’s house, not something used underwater where it’s impossible for torches to burn.
Why is that hangover name from the middle ages still with us??
It’s “LIGHT”!!!

Ok, now that we have cured the disease of calling technical tek or tec, let’s discuss the word “torch”.

I always thought torches were something you lit then formed a mob and went up to raid Dr. Frankenstein’s house, not something used underwater where it’s impossible for torches to burn.
It’s “LIGHT”!!!
Herr Frankenstein, I presume?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 6.03.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 6.03.18 PM.png
    350.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 6.08.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 6.08.59 PM.png
    373.5 KB · Views: 47

It’s “LIGHT”!!!
It's a Britishism. They originally called them "electric torches". The "electric" part disappeared along with the use of non-electric torches as a light source.

The US adopted "flashlight" because the first ones had such poor batteries and bulbs that they could not provide a constant beam. It only took a couple of years for the situation to improve, but the name had already stuck.

@BLACKCRUSADER
It seems that you have an aversion to calling dives technical. Do you see technical dives as sort of more than regular diving? And therefore since *everyone* is doing deep staged deco wreck dives they aren't technical because they are the norm?

You maybe be correct, Aversion perhaps is not the word I would use. Deeper dives require advanced training but they are regular diving for those trained for that yes?

Last week on a dive my dive buddy was a Spanish woman I was teamed up with we met on the boat. I asked her to do a buddy check as she was wearing a BP/w and I was in my BCD Jacket. I showed here where my trim weights were on the back shoulders and where my inserts were. We checked each other without fuss or ego. We both had shearwaters using same GF settings. So off we go down to 25m, ascending when low on NDL ( 2 mins ) after 55 mins we are at 15m with 6 mins NDL and both of us have over 95 bar. She noted that our DM and other diver with us were already up at less than 10m as the DM uses a Suunto he does not enjoy longer NDL times. I signaled lets go up and join them so we go shallow and end the dive at 78 mins.
After the dive she mentioned we could have stayed deeper and done some light backgas deco. I replied that I don't do that as first it's a padi dive center with NDL only diving and we still have other dives to do that day. Turns out she is an instructor and tec diver and was glad I stuck to NDL. She liked the way I dive ( not a cowboy diver ) and do no just go into short deco just because I can. We chatted about my BSAC training vs her tec diving and that I wanted to do the TDI ANDP but have not yet. Planned for February but instructor was not available.

We chatted also about where is the recreational sports diving vs tec diving separated. I said CMAS and BSAC deco dives were part of the dive training and planning and some dives were deco dives. I said I did not count myself as a tec diver. She noted my cressi SPG and the fact if my DC failed I could continue the dive as I have a bottom timer, current depth, max depth, water them, and time to 50 bar on my SPG. So not kitted up as a tec diver on a tec dive. More like a sports diver with deco training.
For me I do not believe that doing deco dives even on nitrox is tec diving. Even if using 21% and another tank with 32% or even 40% as a stage tank is a not a tec dive in my humble opinion. Lets concede that deco dives do not require "deep" dives let's say deeper than 30m if you wish. Deco dives are gas planned dives, is that technical or just sports diving? BSAC calls it sports diving so I guess it just stuck with me.

Mixed gas with trimix and doing deco stops with 100% 02, then yes. I would say are tec dives, CCR tec dives.
What is deep? BSAC Dive leader is 50m and deco on air was the norm in 1980's before nitrox ( seen as a voodoo gas for tec divers ) Back twins or single tank and placing other tanks at the wreck site and on anchor line was common for BSAC club where I was.

50m for me is a deep dive. 35 - 40m dives not so much as I normally do that as NDL recreational diving.

MOD on 21% on my Shearwater is 57m.

Is a side mount diver a tec diver? I would not assume so.

P2180112.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom