Policies regarding equipment left at shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toddthecat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Quick question for the shops/owners out there...

What is your policy regarding fees for equipment that has not been picked up that has been left by a customer? Do you charge a storage fee for each month they don't pick things up after you have attempted contact?

I had a guy bring in an old tank he picked up somewhere and he wanted it filled. So I say great, come back tomorrow and it'll be ready (compressor is located at the other shop). This happened back in August of 2011. It is now March of 2012. He never came back for the tank and dropped off the face of the earth. His son also disappeared around the same time but recently contacted us about something unrelated. Asked about the tank, he said he wasn't sure what the deal was. I decided to start using it in the pool back around November because it's quite convenient being a little 50cf.

Have another guy we've called three times to pick up a regulator he left that needed an adapter and battery replacement on an old computer. It's been sitting here for 3 weeks now. No response to voicemail I have personally left.

We're trying to get a feel for an appropriate monthly storage fee for things like this to either discourage people from treating us as a storage unit and/or make money off the precious space their things take up around our small work bench. The sign outside my shop says "Dive Shop" not "Dive Equipment Storage". :shakehead:

I would alert the owner that the gear needs to be pickd up, via email, so that there is a record of it. If after a year put it up for sale , or as you did with the 50 tank put it to use. As to the regulator that you have had for 3 weeks, thats way too short a period of time to start thinking you own it..again wait a minimum of a year after alerting the owner to come and get it. We have a sign that announces any gear left here for 90 days is not our responsibility if it gets lost.

What ever you decide make sure it's on the receipt. and maybe make one of those small signs posted up front by the counter. I have people who bring in their gear for overhaul in November and pick it up in April/May, can you say cheap storage. I too ws thinking of charging something like $1.00 a day after 30 days. But remember it can become a lose lose situation with a customer that is going to cry the blues.

When stuff comes in for service part of the service agreement should include a storage fee and transfer of ownership. I know a lot of places that charge a dollar a day seven days post notification and after 90 days ownership is transferred. What ever you do though make sure it's in writing.

@Oly - Reg wasn't such a big deal, and the day after I wrote this he picked it up :D Big question was something like the tank that took forever. Year is a long time to take up space, but sure is an appropriate amount of time to call it abandoned. I like the email idea, might even do certified mail just to be super safe.

@Abyss - Very true about it being lose/lose situation. But the more business we do and the more people we get leaving things, the less space we have. We are here to figure out what other shops do to set a baseline for something that we can have printed on the back of our receipts. That way we can say 'here it is in writing when you came in'. It's a tough thing to decide on though because on one hand having business is good, on the other hand we aren't going to bend over backwards and be a storage unit.

@azchipka - Great point. A transfer of ownership clause is a wonderful idea and can be used with equipment service and tank fills as well.

*To everyone who has replied so far, thanks for taking the time to reply. It is much appreciated :)

I would also suggest that you check your local laws about abandoned equipment. What I found was that I have to try to notify the person in writing several times then I have to file that with local law enforcement to claim that the item is abandoned after a certain amount of time has passed. Otherwise believe it or not, the person can show up later and file a stolen property report against me. So all the advise about written notification at the first interaction is priceless, just to be on the safe side check the legalities in your area also.

I am leery of shops that make too big a deal about "abandoned" equipment. I had an 1860 Knickerboker shotgun I had brought into a gunsmith for a small repair. I kept calling them to find out when it was to be picked up and got no answer. Finally, 90 days passed and I found that they had "disposed" of it, citing that they felt it had been abandoned. The guy had the temerity to demand that I pay the bill! This left an incredibly bad taste in my mouth, and had there been a forum to post on, I would have done so. I had also lent some tanks to a Florida dive shop and they have used the same philosophy to simply assimilate them into their rental fleet. When I went to pick them up last year when I moved to the Keys they just claimed to not have them.

Customer trust is paramount in our industry. It would be best to have a dedicated space in your shop for long term storage and then make every effort to reconnect the gear with the owner.

Fully agree with you. The only time I have had to go this route was a customer had left tanks and literally disappeared for over 2 years. Phone number disconnected, not at the physical address just gone. That was five years ago and I still have the tanks here. If they show up and pay the bill for hydros then I would still return them.

If someone has a problem with being used for storage then by all means charge a storage rate after a certain period of time, whether 90 or 120 days whatever, just be clear about that in writing when a customer drops gear off. Using it as a means to increase your rental inventory or quick cash is just wrong.
Use some morals when deciding what to do.

Why does it have to become a matter of "morals"? did the customer have "morals" when they dropped their regs off last winter and want to pick it up for dive season. They get shiny regs they didn't store all winter, What about the customer who left 2 tanks here 2 years ago. No answer on phone. And if they do come back they need a new Vip, do I do the "Morally"right thing and dump the air redo the vip at no charge, because they didn't use the last one? Customers have responsibility to come in for their gear , remember I invested time and in some cases money , for parts kits, labor, shop space, gas. Why should I be out? Net Doc what happened to you just sounds wrong and I can't believe they didn't try to reach out to you before disposing of your shotgun!!!!

I'd be calling BATF about that "disposed" firearm. We're just talking tanks here. Firearms are a totally different thing and I'm pretty sure there's a federal law prohibiting such an action without BATF approval first in most situations...

Anyway, we aren't trying to make a quick buck and this is our first instance of equipment left here for almost a year. We are a growing shop in an exceedingly small space. If I had a dedicated location for storage of people's gear, it would have to be a storage unit. Space in the shop is valuable with our expansion and we certainly aren't the place to keep gear because someone's garage is too full. Abyss, you make a fine point :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom