Police Corruption On The East Side

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The cruise ships also tell you only to shop in certain shops, and that you will be mugged if you venture away from the waterfront, which is totally ridiculous

I've been on a bunch of cruises, and their warnings are generally pretty accurate for each port.

In Coz, they warn against renting anything with a motor. No mopeds, motorcycles, cars, etc., and recommend a taxi or shuttle bus or walking if you want to go somewhere.

In Jamaica, they recommend staying with the tour, staying away from anything except busy main streets or stay on the ship. The fact that the pier needs to be guarded by a bunch of police (or military?) with automatic weapons seems to reinforce this point.

On Grand Cayman, the only warning was "be back before we leave".

The business about "approved shops" is just a marketing and insurance thing. You can shop wherever you want. All the "approved shops" get you is a guarantee from the cruise line that you won't get defrauded, or if you do, they'll cover the loss.

They don't tell the passengers to not use other shops, they tell them that if they use the listed shops and get hosed, they'll get a refund.

Terry

If it's such an "isolated incident" then how come we've ALL heard stories about corrupt Mexican police? They aren't just "stories" either, I've had several friends who have been the victims of shakedowns by shady Mexican police just south of the Texas border.

Cozumel is not mainland Mexico. The two are like entirely different worlds. Sounds like quite a hair-raising experience. Kudos to whomever wrote this, for keeping their cool and kudos to the Cozumelian police for handling this in what appears to be the proper procedure for policing their own ranks.

If Cozumel is so dangerous then why in the world do the cruise ships take their passengers there? To experience the "local culture"? I doubt you can do that in a 4-5 hour shore excursion into Diamonds International and Margaritaville.

While we are back there getting the money the Officer says Oh amigo another infraction there are beers in your cooler.

So, for the sake of one wanting to rent a car and go to the east side to hang out at the beach and have a few beers and some food throughout the day at Coconuts, etc.....

What are the laws for having beer in the car, having a few beers then driving, etc.?

No offence to the locals, but everyone knows that Mexico is corrupt. Renting a car is just not a good idea. I’ve been to Mainland Mexico and Coz, and will go back, but I won’t rent a car. Taxies, cabs and shuttles are much easier. Even in tourist areas it is common to see guards wearing a flak jacket and a machine gun slung around his neck. What’s even scarier is wondering if he’s the good guy or the bad guy.

sounds like hearsay to me...

What's hearsay? The guy reporting that he was held up?

Sounds like a first-hand account from here.

Terry

CHECK

"Bullets over Baja" in the southern California selection of this board

Suggest that you read all the postings; especially the clipping from the newspapers.

Mexico is rapidly entering into a state of anarchy.

sdm

Back
Top Bottom