Polar Bear Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie59

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In the Dallas area there is a New Year's day dive. It is called a Polar Bear dive with water temps in the 50's (after all this is Texas) which seems cold enough. The most interesting thing is the diver wearing the least, usually someone in scuba gear and nothing else, for up to 2 hours. The name of the dive park is Clear Springs Scuba Park in Terrell.

Is this a common occurence and what are conditions like in other areas of the country for these dives. I'm sure in Hawaii the dive is torture and dry suits are the rule.

heck, 50 degrees AIR TEMP sounds pretty good!!

Air temp has been anywhere from 30' to 70's, this year forecast is for sun and 50's.

Charlie59:
In the Dallas area there is a New Year's day dive. It is called a Polar Bear dive with water temps in the 50's (after all this is Texas) which seems cold enough. The most interesting thing is the diver wearing the least, usually someone in scuba gear and nothing else, for up to 2 hours. The name of the dive park is Clear Springs Scuba Park in Terrell.

Is this a common occurence and what are conditions like in other areas of the country for these dives. I'm sure in Hawaii the dive is torture and dry suits are the rule.

We do the same thing at a local quarry here in NJ, but the water is a few degrees colder than "in the 50s"*

Heck, you even have to cut a hole in the thermocline just to enter the water!

DSC05951e.jpg

*Water temps in the 50s? Sh!t, come to NJ and you can do "polar bear" dives straight through 4th of July!

Charlie59:
The most interesting thing is the diver wearing the least, usually someone in scuba gear and nothing else, for up to 2 hours.

Sounds like someone needs their head examined....... Brrrrrrr!!!!!!!!! I perfer to stay warm & toasty in my drysuit, thank you.

That has got to be the best post I've ever seen. Love your signature at the bottom, too!

"Cutting through the thermocline" is an all-time classic!

I went to the CSSP (Clear Springs Scuba Park) polar bear dive last year which had a water temp of 52* and an air temp of 70*+. Last year there were two people that were under for more than an hour and were literally not even wearing a swim suit (sometimes bad vis is a good thing). I personally saw how bad their condition was when they got out and I can tell you anyone diving in that water temp with no thermal protection is nuts, it is dangerous. One of these years someone is going to get seriously hurt and then the owner is going to find out how worthless that waiver he has us sign really is. I'm planning on going again this year but I'll be wearing a 7mm suit, gloves, and hood.

I used to be a member of a "Polar Bear Club." We went swmming in the ocean every Sunday morning.

The worst day that I remember was wading through knee-deep snow and swimming between floating ice in the surf. Your entire body would go totally numb.

The best part was warming up with blackberry schnopps in the back of a warm van and having the feeling return to your body.

Back
Top Bottom