Poisonous sea creatures...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FijiBound

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know of a book that has specs on these creatures. Like is there antivenom for a sea krait bite, and are there any methods to cure the pain from a lionfish sting or a crown of thorns starfish sting? For example, in San Diego, where I surfed for a few years, if we were attacked by a stingray, we would put our feet in water as hot as we could stand to inhibit the toxin. Is there a book, maybe medical grade, that can suggest common remedies or medications to combat common toxins found in sea creatures? I am looking for something specific to Fiji and the Pacific Islands. Thanks for any help.

For the most part, getting stung or bitten by something is not going to have a magical cure. Getting bitten by a seasnake is incredibly unlikely, as they are docile and nonaggressive. Animals with venom and poison don't seek out things to sting, venom takes energy to make. Crown of thorns will not hurt you unless you really try hard to get hit. Stay off the bottom, don't touch or antagonize anything you're unfamiliar with.
A lionfish sting, unless you are allergic in which case you've got an entirely different problem, is not going to kill you. It will hurt pretty bad though. Attacked by a stingray? Well, yeah, if you step on it?

At any rate, I know of no such book. But a good fish ID book will probably be sufficient.

Dangerous Marine Creatures by Carl Edmonds has what you're after:

A unique guide to aid swimmers, surfers, sailors, fishermen, scuba divers, and all others connected with the sea in avoiding injury from marine creatures. Covers the general description of most dangerous marine creatures, and gives the symptoms, first aid treatments, medical treatments and techniques to prevent injury, poisoning, venomous stings and infections. Also gives case reports on medical cases involving these creatures. A comprehensive and in-depth guide.

You can get here:

http://www.amazon.com/Dangerous-Marine-Creatures-Diversification-Edmonds/dp/094133239X

FijiBound:
Anyone know of a book that has specs on these creatures. Like is there antivenom for a sea krait bite, and are there any methods to cure the pain from a lionfish sting or a crown of thorns starfish sting? For example, in San Diego, where I surfed for a few years, if we were attacked by a stingray, we would put our feet in water as hot as we could stand to inhibit the toxin. Is there a book, maybe medical grade, that can suggest common remedies or medications to combat common toxins found in sea creatures? I am looking for something specific to Fiji and the Pacific Islands. Thanks for any help.

Try the following link from the DAN web site to their

DAN Hazardous Marine Life Pocket Guide

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/...inue=1&SEARCH_TYPE=find&StartRow=16&PageNum=2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom