Poipu Dive Boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rakdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Staying in Poipu for a week and a half at the end of September and looking for recommendations/tips for dive operators.

I did a few days of local dives with Seasport a few years ago and thought they were solid and friendly and would happily use them again, but don’t know what I don’t know about the other boat operators.

I want to do Ni’ihau a couple of times and a few days of local diving and maybe some shore dives (I’ve heard local diving can be less than ideal that time of year?). Experienced diver (DM, 200 or so dives), open to other options for more advanced dives. I’ll be soloing as my wife doesn’t dive.

I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks!

Aloha! Bet you are pretty stoked on your scheduled vacation. I think you will find that any of operations here are really first class. Seasport Divers has a long time reputation of being a great diving option. Also in the Poipu area you will find Kauai Down Under and Fathom Five. Heading further to the west Garden Isle Divers and Explore Kauai Scuba are options as well. September is the end of Niihau season so as long as the northern swells have not yet arrived you should be able to do a crossing or two. By far the shortest runs are with Explore Kauai Scuba out of the west side. EKS is the company that I currently am working for though I have worked with Fathom and Seasports in the past. Again, all great companies. Any of the previously mentioned companies also guide at the fantastic shore dive at Koloa Landing. You can see some of the most amazing critters in Hawaiian waters at this site. Frogfish, Dragon Morays, Green Sea Turtles, Dragon Wrasses, Leaf Scorpion Fish, Pipefish, Octopus, Devil Scorpion fish, Freckled Snake Eels ... you get the idea. It's very protected and shallow (Max depth of 45') so you'd get really great bottom times no doubt with your experience level. Sept Diving can actually be really great. Unless there is a period of heavy rain or something unusual I think you'll be very happy.

Please feel free to send me a private message if I can be of any help with specific questions about diving or the island. I'll see those message quickly and respond right away. If I can lend you a mat for shore diving, a bin to protect your car or anything else just hit me up. There are some fun snorkeling options for your wife as well if she enjoys being on top of the water.

Have a great weekend
A

I've gone with both Kauai Down Under and Seasport Divers and had a great time with both.

Kauai Down Under has a DPV dive that leaves out of Koloa Landing, so if you've never done that it might be worth checking out.

I defer to @AquamanKauai with his insight. Just thought I'd throw in that I dove with Fathom Five last year and thought they were very good.

Back
Top Bottom