Point Lobos Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you buy now and are one of the 1st 25 callers, you'll get it for $125. After that, the annual passes go to $175. Simple arithmetic says I should throw my own pass away and buy a new one NOW!

I am sure someone would be happy to receive a pass good through the end of year :cool2:

My pass is good through March. Either way a donation to the parks system is not a bad thing.

We they do have to maintain rescue equipment on site for the divers along with maintaining the ramp, so there are some expenses exclusive to scuba divers. Now I am not sure it is the state park that pays for the rescue equipment or if it is the fire dept?

There are two boats at Lobos. IIRC, one belongs to State Parks,
one belongs to the fire dept.

I'm considering an annual pass. What exactly does the pass cover at Lobos? Is boat launching an additional fee over and above park entry? If you launch during the week and there are diving spots, do you still have to pay the rez fee? I talked to Ranger Ken on the phone today and he said that State Parks will have more info tomorrow. We have a memo that circulated from Sonoma County Parks from State Parks that details the increase in day entry fees and camping fees. The fee increase is the same info that has been detialed in the newspapers.

My understanding is that the annual passes will NOT be increased tomorrow along with the other fees. I plan to buy one before Labor Day.

Steve

Also, are the annual passes based upon the calendar year? Or are they good for the 12 months after you purchase?

I don't know about boat launching, but I ordered a pass last month in order:

1. Support the California State Parks Foundation
2. Prepay the $10/car parking fee.

It covers a 12-mo period, so if you buy it this month, it's good until August 2010.

Regardless of any price increases, I reckon I'll just pay and continue diving there.

Sorry about my triplicate post below. I've got NO idea how that happened.

The annual pass ($125 today) gets your car in the gate without paying the
(today) $10/car fee.

There's an annual boat pass sticker ($75 today) that gets your boat in the
gate without paying the (today, IIRC) $5 boat fee. The sticker goes on
your annual pass. Note that kayaks don't have to pay the boat fee.

The dive reservation ($10 today) covers the reservation and does not
apply (today) to walk-ins.

Today, on a weekday, you could probably walk in with your dive gear and
kayak, and go yak diving, and pay nothing. And I'd consider you
completely nuts. MMM, I wonder if they charge for pack mules? ;-)

Do the math. The annual pass is (today) 12.5 car entries. There are a fair number
of folks that do that. The boat pass is (today) 15 boat entries. There aren't very
many of those. I've been told that Phil Sammet and I have the only boat
passes. The last two years running, they've had trouble figuring out how
much to charge me. Fortunately, last year, Ranger Chuck wrote the price
on the envelope with the stickers, and this year it only took a few minutes
to sort out the price. Last year it took the better part of a day.

One more reason to get the annual pass. I was shore diving SoCal and came across a few beaches that looked inviting. Then I noticed a ranger station where they asked me to pay. When I whipped out the Point Lobos annual pass, they just waved me through, no questions asked.

If you go to other parks/beaches in the state, it sure does come in handy.

Thanks for the info-that clarifies a lot for me. The annual pass is a no brainer, both for cost effectiveness and support for the parks. The boat pass may or may not make sense for me up here in Sonoma County... unless the boat pass works at Angel Island, which I might use for docking at the island, although I rarely use my boat in SF Bay. I can use the day pass at Salt Point and Fort Ross as well, depending on which ones they close. I would love to drive from the Oregon Border to the Mexican Border to explore all the State Beaches...

Steve

Today, on a weekday, you could probably walk in with your dive gear and
kayak, and go yak diving, and pay nothing. And I'd consider you
completely nuts. MMM, I wonder if they charge for pack mules? ;-)

Actually it is easier than you might think to haul a kayak down the hill. After all they make wheels for your kayak that could be already loaded with dive gear. Now back up the hill would be another story :doh2:

Of course I purchase the annual State Park pass, so I have gone in there with kayaks and gone diving for no additional costs.

Dang Blewgrass is right on Angel Island "Private boats can use the boat slips or the 27 new mooring buoys at Ayala Cove. Slips, 30' to 50', are open year round from 8am to sunset and cost $15. The California State Park Annual Day Use Pass, $125, can be used to pay day-use dock fees." I have not been there in ages. We used to take the sailboat out there and spend the night when we were teenagers. Then paddle a dingy over and hike. Might just have to take my little boat through Raccoon Straights and go for a ride there and back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom