Point Lobos Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zf2nt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I just had a long chat with Kevin Brady and picked up some interesting tidbits:

1. They still have about 25 annual passes, good for admission through August 2010, which they are continuing to sell for $125. Once that supply is exhausted, annual passes will cost $175.

2. State Parks is considering--but has not yet decided--charging a $10/person fee for diving at Point Lobos. Curiously, this would not be in addition to the reservation fee. Whether you make a reservation or not, the charge would be $10. And if you do make a reservation, then there would be no extra charge. Again, this proposal is still up in the air.

BTW, some divers who went diving there on Wednesday reported about 30' visibility. That's the best I've heard anywhere in about a week now.

Bruce

What I read Bruce is saying is that:

Make a reservation, pay $10 for the reservation and $10 per car.
Don't make a reservation, pay $10 per diver and $10 per car.

And that assumes that they don't raise the per reservation and per car
fees, and there are rumors those are going to $15 RSN.

What I read Bruce as saying is that:

What I read Bruce as saying is that:

I'm fine with the 10 dollar reservation fee,and the entrance fee,but why should divers pay more when the above water visitors don't..? It seems like we are being singled out unfairly? We just enjoy a different area of the park..short of some fresh water at the hose, we do not inccur any more expense for the park?

Is it just me..

Drew

We they do have to maintain rescue equipment on site for the divers along with maintaining the ramp, so there are some expenses exclusive to scuba divers. Now I am not sure it is the state park that pays for the rescue equipment or if it is the fire dept?

I always purchase a state park pass, and it will be interesting to see if the passes are still going to be available in the future and at what cost. I would assume my current pass will continue to get me into Lobos with no additional charges, other than the per diver fee in this case.

We they do have to maintain rescue equipment on site for the divers along with maintaining the ramp, so there are some expenses exclusive to scuba divers. Now I am not sure it is the state park that pays for the rescue equipment or if it is the fire dept?

The state lifeguards are all paid by the State Parks system. These guys respond not just to emergencies at Point Lobos, but at the other state beaches up and down the coast. That includes Monastery (a.k.a. Carmel River State Beach), of course.

I always purchase a state park pass, and it will be interesting to see if the passes are still going to be available in the future and at what cost. I would assume my current pass will continue to get me into Lobos with no additional charges, other than the per diver fee in this case.

Yes, that was my point! Current passes are good until they expire. (Mine expires December 31.) After that, you'll need a new one. If you buy now and are one of the 1st 25 callers, you'll get it for $125. After that, the annual passes go to $175. Simple arithmetic says I should throw my own pass away and buy a new one NOW!

Back
Top Bottom