Point and shoot options Vol. 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tripophobia

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Scubaboarders,

I need your help again as priorities have changed a bit since my previous considerations on underwater cameras:

We will fly to the red sea in October for the first trip since COVID planning to do two dives a day for ten days. With a baby this will probably be our only annual dive trip for the next couple years, so we will not have >50 dives per year as we have regularly done in the past...

With my focus being on videography for underwater, I would still like to use the opportunity to tinker with underwater photography, but without investing a lot of money. Hence, I am checking the market for used equipment for some time and concluded on a few options where I would like to get your thoughts on.

I do not plan to buy any strobes, wet lenses as the package should be rather small. I have a 5000 lumen video light for my GoPro that supports a flash mode which I would then also use for the camera. I did have an RX100 M1 some time ago but the pictures were mostly crap (probably due to my limited capabilities).

Option 1: Olympus XZ-2 with the respective Olympus housing. I like that the lense is very bright and the sensor comparably big. It has underwater modes. However, I read the housing has only one o-ring and it is comparably old. I have an offer for roughly 150 USD

Option 2: Olympus TG-4 with an Ikelite Housing. I understand this camera has the macro mode similar to TG-5 and 6 moreover it is waterproof and thus less risky to drown. However, it has the smallest sensor and least bright lense. I have an offer for about 130 USD

Option 3: I use my backup Sony A6300 and buy a new housing (eg. Seafrogs Salted Line). This delivers probably the best picture quality but bears the highest risk. Moreover, I only have the Sigma 30mm f2.8 that would fit the housing. With another port I could use my Sony 18-135 but then I would spend like a 500 USD

Option 4: Go back to Sony RX100, maybe the M3 but this requires the most significant investment and as previously mentioned I was not really happy, neither with wide angle nor macro in the past...

Your thoughts are highly appreciated!

EDIT: I am a decent photographer above the surface, so I know what I am doing :cool:

Consider the TG-5 rather than the 4. Much better.
Consider the Sea Frogs housing for it. Much cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom