Pockets for my Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikemikethepike

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Typhoon Prosport dry suit and I called by LDS about my options for adding pockets to the dry suit? My LDS said that pockets would have to sewn on to the suit, so they would need to send it out to a place in Texas that does this kind of work and that the pockets are $150 each plus the freight charge to ship the dry suit.

I think that this suit is trilamanent cordura, but I am not sure.

I know that halcyon sells a glue-on pocket (and my LDS is a Halcyon dealer). Does anyone know if a glue-on pocket will work for this suit?

I plan to replace the suit with a lighter, more flexible in the next two years, so I do not know about spending $150 per pocket.

I tried using a thigh pocket that has an elastic band that is held up by the waist band on my backplate, but this pocket is a big PITA.

Contact Gamblescuba.com. He'll give you a straight answer,and will do it a lot cheaper.

I'll second Kelly's advice, call Steve Gamble and cut out the middle man.

FWIW, I've put glue on pockets on all my dry suits. It works just fine. The only issue is every couple of months I need to reinforce the corners because they start to raise up off the suit. Sew ons would prevent that.

My LDS said that pockets would have to sewn on to the suit, so they would need to send it out to a place in Texas that does this kind of work and that the pockets are $150 each plus the freight charge to ship the dry suit. I think that this suit is trilamanent cordura, ... I plan to replace the suit with a lighter, more flexible in the next two years, so I do not know about spending $150 per pocket.
That seems quite high, even considering it represents the cost of the pocket and the attachment.
Dive-a-holic:
The only issue is every couple of months I need to reinforce the corners because they start to raise up off the suit. Sew ons would prevent that.
And, that has been my experience as well. I now have Halcyon pockets SEWN on my drysuit, and have had no problems with them. Even if you think you may sell the suit in 2 years, you might still consider having them sewn on rather than only glued - it is a bit more reliable, less failure-prone approach. Steve gamble is a very good recommendation. Another option is to contact Mark Owens at Superior Diving Repair (Superior Diving Repair, Inc.) in Minnesota. I just had pockets put on on my wetsuit (they glue them, sew them, then seal them) for $30 each (I supplied the Halcyon pockets). They do excellent work (I have had them replace seals on my drysuit before), and do it quickly.

Another vote for having them sewn on. If you do decide to glue them youself, get the Airspeed Press dry suit book and read it, and carefully prepare the surfaces as they prescribe. The pockets will still peel off from the corners. Deep Sea Supply makes a pocket that's presewn onto a large neoprene backing square, with the idea being that then the shear forces aren't concentrated on the pocket corners. I don't know anybody who has glued those onto a suit, but the pockets cost a good portion of what I spent to have my sewn on and sealed by Superior Diving Repair.

I called Steve Gamble and he explained that it is difficult to glue pockets to the DUI TLS 350 but that I should have no problem have no problem gluing to a Cordura trilaminant like the Prosport. He recommended the pockets from Golem. I was very happy to find that the pockets were only $25 a piece and these pockets can be either glued or sewn. I ordered a pair of these and now await their arrival in the mail.

Although after hearing you guys comment on the advantages of sewing them on, I may try to find someone to sew them on.

I called Steve Gamble and he explained that it is difficult to glue pockets to the DUI TLS 350 but that I should have no problem have no problem gluing to a Cordura trilaminant like the Prosport. He recommended the pockets from Golem. I was very happy to find that the pockets were only $25 a piece and these pockets can be either glued or sewn. I ordered a pair of these and now await their arrival in the mail.

Although after hearing you guys comment on the advantages of sewing them on, I may try to find someone to sew them on.

Do you have a link for the Golem pockets?

Anyone have longer term experience with the Golem pockets? How's the closing - is the flap long enough to fully "reach" and close when the pocket is full? How do they hold up over time?

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom