Pocket snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markfm:
Happy with my Snap. [...] Deployed it works OK, though does breathe a bit wet.

You notice yours breathes wet too? Wonder why that is? As rubbery as the Snap is, I don't think it leaks around the mouthpiece. Rather, I think it's easy for water to splash down into the top, despite the shroud. Seems like the shape brings the opening down very close to the water. Maybe careful positioning would help. Then it seems hard to blow-purge it.

I have the Sherwood Avid. In 50 dives I have only used it only once - for a snorkel between dives. Not the world's greatest snorkel but it folds up small enough for the BC pocket and hangs on the mask strap nice and easy. Breathes a bit wet but easy to clear. I am happy with the purchase as it serves the purpose I bought it for - just in case of a long swim in a choppy sea.

Marek K:
You notice yours breathes wet too? Wonder why that is?

I'm thinking that it's a combination of being slightly shorter than a standard snorkel plus a slightly smaller mouthpiece (actually not quite as good a mouth seal as you get with a slightly firmer mouthpiece). In any event, I see its pluses as outweighing the wet factor, for me. Its not like drinking cups of water, just a bit of water intrusion. Nice if it's a case where you have to wear one -- I like not having the rigid plastic tube underwater.

Couldn't get Aqualung Snap here. Thinking of having my friend in the US, who's coming home soon, to get it for me. As she is not familiar with scuba stuffs, is there any online site anyone could recommend me?

Thanks!!

Looks like snorkeldirect carries them, though I've never used that site.
Larry at scubatoys carries the Apollo Flex -- similar concept, a polurethane roll-up snorkel (I looked at it, seems quite nice, but it looked like the snap folded slightly shorter, important for my fairly small BC pockets; most BC pockets would likely be fine for the Apollo)

SStrecker:
Try the Tusa Platina Hyperdry snorkel. It is bendable and designed to fit in a BC pocket. It also breathes well, stays quite dry, has a good purge valve and a quick connect clip design. I highly recommend it.

I second this one. Folds up pretty compact and works very nice when needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom