PO2 dive computer warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not recommend changing your setting to 1.6. As a recreational diver there is absolutely no reason to exceed 1.4 and honestly the very minor difference in NDL at 1.6 is not worth the risk. If your nitrox instructor taught you not to exceed a PO2 of 1.4, that is what you should plan to do.

Just because a guy on the internet does not know of someone having oxygen toxicity at 1.6 does not make exceeding 1.4 safe or a good practice for everyone, and quite honestly no one here should be giving you advice to do anything other than what you were taught when you were certified.

I would not recommend changing your setting to 1.6. As a recreational diver there is absolutely no reason to exceed 1.4 and honestly the very minor difference in NDL at 1.6 is not worth the risk. If your nitrox instructor taught you not to exceed a PO2 of 1.4, that is what you should plan to do.

Just because a guy on the internet does not know of someone having oxygen toxicity at 1.6 does not make exceeding 1.4 safe or a good practice for everyone, and quite honestly no one here should be giving you advice to do anything other than what you were taught when you were certified.
The warning alarm goes off at 1.4. You pay attention to what you are doing well before that

Since I can't hear those high-frequency alarms anymore, I turn them off. Problem solved. My buddies thank me.

Since I can't hear those high-frequency alarms anymore, I turn them off. Problem solved. My buddies thank me.

No diver should need those audible alarms going off. They're annoying, distracting and detract from the entire underwater experience. Be aware of your surroundings, monitor your gauges regularly, and you don't need some sort of audio equivalent of your cars dashboard idiot light.

I cannot turn these alarms off unless I set it in Tech mode, which up to now I have been hesitant to do. But perhaps that is what I should do when diving nitrox. I have no plans to exceed 1.4, but also don't want to artificially hold myself at 1.2 just to avoid a warning alarm.

I have been diving Oceanic computers since 2002. I set the pO2 at 1.6, the warning alarm goes off at 1.4.
My Oceanics don't alarm until the 1.6 setpoint.

I cannot turn these alarms off unless I set it in Tech mode, which up to now I have been hesitant to do.

I think the word "tech" is scaring you more than a little bit. It's perfectly ok to go into the menu settings of your dive computer and make the changes. In fact most dive computers don't call it a tech mode and most dive computers need to be configured for things such as Nitrox blend and to change the time when traveling to other zones.

It's just another menu setting. Regardless of what it's referred to by the manufacturer. If you feel better, then practice setting the clock on your VCR before attempting the maneuver on your dive computer.

I'm happy to see so many fellow 1.6ers on this thread.
Time at PP seems to be a critical part of the equation. I'm pretty certain nobody can stay long enough on a single tank at 1.6 on 32% to cause a problem.

I cannot turn these alarms off unless I set it in Tech mode, which up to now I have been hesitant to do. But perhaps that is what I should do when diving nitrox. I have no plans to exceed 1.4, but also don't want to artificially hold myself at 1.2 just to avoid a warning alarm.
You seem to have three options:
1) Leave it as is, let it alarm at 1.2 (0.2 less than 1.4), clear the alarm, dive on. This will be aggravating if you are constantly diving above and below the depth at which 1.2 happens.
2) Go into Tech mode and set the max PPO2 at 1.6 so the alarm goes off at 1.4.
3) Go into Tech mode and turn the alarms off.

You just need to make a decision and not keep asking for help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom