PNW drysuit diver... singles wing size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used an HP130 with a 40 cf slung stage ... and a 37 lb wing was enough lift, even though I was 6 lbs overweighted :wink:

I don't really see how you'd need more :)

Bjorn

i started out with a 40# wing...

a 30# wing might work, but the 40# wing let me do stupid n00b tricks like diving an old LP104 with the same weightbelt as i'd been using for Al80s (15# more negative) without having to pay an excessive penalty (like drowning)...

Matt S.:
Thanks for the info Tobin, that's a good looking wing... nice and narrow.
Matt ... let me know if you want to try one ... I happen to have one of the wings Tobin's talking about (as do several others posting here ... but I have extra rigs I can dive while you're trying it) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks Bob, I will let you know. Probably after I recover financially from my upcoming Playa del Carmen trip in May... that way if I like it, I can bag one for myself right away. :)

Matt S.:
Thanks Bob, I will let you know. Probably after I recover financially from my upcoming Playa del Carmen trip in May... that way if I like it, I can bag one for myself right away. :)
i don't know, dude. you might want to get your wing now. because i can just about guarantee you that as soon as you get back from the playa (and maybe even before you get back), you will be trying to figure out how you can afford to go back ASAP. :D

Yeah, get your BP/W before you go down, so you can look like a proper cave diver when you do your cenote tours :D

Matt, I use Trident or XS scuba weight pockets on the cambands to move some weight up onto my back. Peter uses one of Tobin's BPs and uses the weight plates on it. I use a weight belt in addition, and Peter uses a DUI Weight&Trim because he hates weight belts.

If you want to try a BP/W system on Sunday, you can borrow one of ours.

to clarify, in addition to the weighted STA, i also use xs scuba weight pockets ... but on the waistbelt section of my harness (pushed as far towards the rear as possible). i also add additional weights onto the backplate or tank (where exactly changes). i also hate and do not use a weight belt - unless you count sometimes strapping one around my tank (through the STA). :D

Definitely take Bob up on his offer...I loved the idea of the bp/w, but was surprised to find that I found them very uncomfortable. Well, the harness, anyway. Fortunately, there are other options for harnesses, so I'll get one eventually.

Some advise... Take him up on the offer to try it. The only thing you will then need to figure out is how to afford it BEFORE your trip.

I got a DSS stainless plate and 30lb wing recently, I really can't figure out why I waited so long! It was love at first dive. On our most recent trip to Roatan I packed the BPW, my 3/2 wetsuit, boots, fins, and mask all in my carry on bag. I took my regs and everything else in a reg bag as my personal bag. You don't need to worry about some idiot throwing your gear around that way.

I used one pound on each side of the cam band for weight in that configuration, no weightbelt was so nice! I tried it without any lead but was a hair light at my safety stop.

Seriously, try it. You will not regret it except in the wallet area.

Later, Hawk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom