PNW drysuit diver... singles wing size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTW, I have done several warm water trips with my SS BP and LCD 30 wing. I haven't had any problems meeting the weight restrictions (even with Jet fins). On our recent trip to Cozumel, I took Tobin's Kydex plate and the LCD 30 wing, and that worked great. Using the steel tanks Aldora provides, I needed two pounds of weight on the camband, and I just threaded the camband through the weight so the two pounder sat centered and that worked well.

I was able to try TSandM's DSS rig this weekend, and sure enough, it's pretty nice. My trim has never been so good. One more thing on the shopping list... Sigh.

I own Tobin's DSS medium S.S. backplate. His wings are really nice designs. I did, however choose an Oxycheq Signature 45 because it provides lots of lift in the same size wing as their 30lb. It's also a doughnut shaped wing while Tobin's are U shaped
unless he's added newer models recently. If you do a search there's a huge thread
about that choice/difference on the board.
Bob recommended my 45 to me but he also recommended DSS wings. I chose according to my own proclivities :)

I LOVE his backplate which incorporates "rubber" inserts to allow you to make adjustments without messing with webbing keeper hardware. I also like his
hole and slot arrangements better than most. His plate for singles give a flatter/lower profile than most, also. Tobin is fantastic at responding to inquiries and emails.

I weigh (sadly) 206lbs. I just returned from the S. Carribean using my S.S. backplate and about six lbs. of lead on an XS scuba pocket belt. (w/an AL 80).

Here, I use a single XS pocket on my camband for a 5lb. trim weight. TSandM recommended that to me and it's been great.
Try as many wings as you can before buying. I lean towards more lift than less within
reason for surface swim in big swell/chop in a 55 yr. old body. I'm using an Oxy 70 lb. double inflator with doubles and depending on which camp I'm speaking with or diving with I get "varied" positive/negative comments concerning the lift. It's pretty streamlined-only a tad larger than an Apex 60 and much smaller than a Dive Rite Classic so I've been very happy so far. There's a difference (at least for me) between lift needed for an ascent and lift "appreciated" in a rough windy surface swim or wait for a crowded dive boat ladder climb while assisting a buddy.

I'd encourage you to try wings in fairly windy/choppy conditions to evaluate how much lift you are comfortable with.

Isn't the trim ease with BP/Wing great? I'll never go back to a jacket.

I have an Oxycheq Mach V 30# wing. I've been diving with a 12# belt, with 11# in pockets on the harness (3# on the cam strap and 4# x 2 in pockets on the waist strap). With the weight of the plate, which I think is about 6#, that's 29# total. I dive with a TLS350 SE I bought used, and have steel 100's for my tanks. The 30# seems sufficient, though by itself it the water, it floats fairly low. A couple of days ago I put together a new belt that is 20#, so I'll am able to remove 8# from the weight pockets, and also removed the pockets from my harness. I haven't dove in it yet though. I wanted the 20# belt for simplicity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom