PNG Walindi Rental Gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alijtaylor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, I have a Febrina liveaboard trip booked from and returning to Walindi in late September.

I was planning on taking all my own gear but I am also doing an 8 day walk in the Highlands first and the logistics of getting an unaccompanied dive bag to Madang, where I will spend a few days before Walindi, or to Walindi, are beginning to daunt me. I certainly don't want to carry the dive gear overland or hire another porter to do so! And I am not intending to double back on my route at any point where I could pick it up again.

So, does anyone have any experience with the quality and range of dive gear available for rent at Walindi? Or with quality of courier services in PNG? I am also asking the operators there but a customer perspective is valuable. I am considering taking my mask and regs/computer even if I hire the rest.

Thanks for input

Alison

Hi Alison.....see you in png in about 6 weeks !! im ready to go !! were still on for dinner !

I looked at their equipment last July. When the group that followed us on the Star Dancer arrived they had to have gear, the airlines lost their luggage and wouldn't be on New Britain for the first four days of their ten day trip. The equipment was rounded up from Walindi and the group went to Kimbe to purchase tee shirt and swim suits. I didn't pay particular attention to the brand of gear but what I saw looked good. The worst part for the group was their camera gear was with their luggage.

caymaniac:
I looked at their equipment last July. When the group that followed us on the Star Dancer arrived they had to have gear, the airlines lost their luggage and wouldn't be on New Britain for the first four days of their ten day trip. The equipment was rounded up from Walindi and the group went to Kimbe to purchase tee shirt and swim suits. I didn't pay particular attention to the brand of gear but what I saw looked good. The worst part for the group was their camera gear was with their luggage.

Hi Caymaniac
Thanks for that. Walindi have come back to me positively about the prospect of airfreighting my gear from Lae to them a couple of weeks before I arrive and I think I'll do that but at least I know that sound rental gear is a back up in case something goes AWOL.

Bob
yes we are still on for dinner in Goroka - I will leave a note for you at reception on the 16th.

Alison

I go to PNG often. On my trip on '05, i went to the highlands after my time on the FeBrina. I carried my own gear because i KNOW it. I flew to PM and took my dive bag to the Airways Hotel. I was going to stay there the night before leaving AFTER my highlands trip. They allowed me to store the extra gear there while I was gone. When I came back for my stay prior to my leaving, all gear was in good shape and accounted for. I was a little nervous since my underwater camera gear was also left.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom