Pneumothorax and pleurodecis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would you guys (TSM,DDM,DocV) classify his (MamboDiablo) PT as traumatic as opposed to spontaneous? His description of getting it while working out on an inclined weight bench: I could think of a couple scenarios that might suggest a traumatic cause.

If truly spontaneous, I agree very scary with strong probability of repeat occurence. Not something you want to have while diving. Probably hang up your regulator. OP lucky it became symptomatic onboard. I had a mild case of Immersion Pulmonary Edema (IPE) early in my diving career that scared the &^$$ out of me. Not being able to breathe is not fun.

As for Rstyle's and his wife, most probable diving related. That safety stop depth is a dangerous place where pressure variation is at an extreme vs small depth change. I dont like to fiddle with anything such as camera, etc. while at the point, particulalry with any seas. Also train dive buddies, especially my son to not take full deep breaths at thi depth. PT's are bad and generally take long to heal. I would wait AT LEAST a year before diving, and only after High res CT exam.

Word to the wise, if you get CT imaged you must really demand that they take high res, thin slice (0.6mm) images. Did a consult for someone last year and there instituiton did very thick slices (2.5mm) which left a lot of questions unanswered.

Thanks for the advice folks. I look at it as one small sacrifice to make in a big wide world with lots of amazing things to do and count myself lucky that I can afford to go on a honeymoon to Fiji in the first place when so many people around the world have so little. I shall enjoy the snorkeling instead.

Cruisin Home, even though I was exercising at the time, my injury is still classed as spontaneous because there was no external impact or penetration trauma such as a broken rib or a tree branch or whatever that actually caused the tear in the pleura. I simply did a set of 10 reps and then put the weights down as per usual but on the very last rep I noticed what felt like a minor muscle strain in my back. I stopped exercising and tried to stretch it out which did nothing of course, but eventually I started to have difficulty breathing and the pain inside my chest was getting stronger and it was at that point that I realised something different and potentially more serious was going on and took a trip to the hospital.

Given the description of your PT, you are very wise to pursue alternatives to diving. Not everybody has your sense of judgement, I commend you!

Be careful snorkeling as well, a PT on the surface is no fun & games either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom