Pneumatics and safety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubseaSports

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am curious how those of you that use pneumatics store the shaft in pre and post dive 'safety mode'. I have been using sling guns for a while, but not too long ago picked up a short pneumatic (75) for shallow reef hunting.
Whether I take it on a boat or just shore dive I want it unloaded, obviously. So, I made a short tube out of pvc with flat on one side so it would snug up to the barrel and zip tied it to the body of the gun so I can stuff the shaft in it. I made a little keeper to hold it place..the shaft line winds up as usual.

What do y'all do?

I have been on a boat once where someone loaded it onboard then jumped. I cringed. And, kept my distance after discussing it with the guy.

20211223_145056.jpg

20211223_145102.jpg

I was just about to post/ask this exact same question and then saw this thread.... I'm moving from a band gun to pneumatic. I was thinking that some sort of velcro strapping might serve to store the shaft until ready to load. What are others doing? Thanks

20220201_165549.jpg

When the bungee on the cap is new, it pulls the shaft back until the lineholderon the shaft seats in the plastic ring. I like your line holding the shaft tip, but in cold water with thick gloves it isn't practical for me.

20220201_165636.jpg

20220201_165559.jpg

The really small gun has a built in.

I use short guns because of the kelp and the usual limited viz. Since the kelp die off, years ago, they haven't had much use.

I have seen the smaller ones before with a built in holder. Often wondered why manufacturers haven't offered a viable solution other than "wrap the line around it" for larger guns. So, here we are.

I have to admit, I love the 'pop' made when shooting.

Thanks for the answers folks..... Definitely giving me some ideas to work with. For starters I'm gonna try a couple of these straps from Amazon. I'll let ya'll know if they work!

Back
Top Bottom