Please tell me about Coz in late August/early September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skinsfan1311

Contributor
Reaction score
We'll be on the island from 8/29 thru 9/5 and staying at the Wyndham Sabor. We're a group of six. Two of us are divers.

I know that it'll be hot, hot, hot and muggy, and the water will be like bath water, but that's ok...we've been to many places in the Caribbean in the summer, so we know what to expect in that regard. We've been to Coz, and I dove it, a couple of times on cruises. We liked it so much, that we've decided to stay for a week.

We'll probably hit town once, and will explore the island. We'll be diving on 4-5 of the days, so the exploring will probably be in the afternoon, (that is if the non-divers are up for it after a day of lounging in the heat and drinking!)

I've perused the boards for things to do, places to eat, drink, etc. but I still have a few questions.

Here they are, in no particular order:

Does it rain much?
Are there any critters that we should be aware of this time of year, (both above and below the water)

Is there a lot of current at that time of year?
Will there be a lot of divers?
People?
Are there any local customs, or safety tips that we should be aware of?

Any tips, suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!!

Does it rain much?

ONLY IF THERE IS A TROPICAL STORM OR HURRICANE

Are there any critters that we should be aware of this time of year, (both above and below the water)

JUST THE USUAL SUSPECTS... MOSQUITOES...POD PEOPLE....:D

CURRENT CAN RANGE FROM NONE TO RAGING AT ANY TIME OF THE YEAR...MOSTLY IT IS MILD TO MODERATE

People?

AUGUST IS USUALLY A SLOW TIME THERE

TIPS: GO TO TOWN AFTER THE CRUISE SHIPS LEAVE:D

Does it rain much?
Yes and No...Aug - Sept it can rain everyday for brief periods of time or all day.

Critters below the surface...wear at least a skin of sorts or better yet the Cozumel standard of a 3 MM. Above the surface- Yes Mosquitoes and I must say Parrotheaddiver I love it....pod people :wink:. In addition, no worries otherwise, just tour and enjoy your vacation as you would anywhere. However, re: scooters. Lot's of discussion already on the boards, research it and you decide. WE do not need to revisit this again !!!

We have found more current at other times of the year, however predicting Cozumel currents is impossible. The current situation can change very quickly.

Aug- Sept is nearing the end of low season. Nov-December starts High season. We have traveled to Cozumel throughout the year however and have never felt it was too busy with divers. We dive with Blue XT SEA Diving and love the small 6 pack boats and personal service. We have never felt rushed or lost in a crowd, topside or underwater.

People?
When the pods are in town, the main plaza area can get busy. However, avoid those areas during the height of the day and you will be fine. Be aware that some of the hotels do allow cruisers to visit their grounds for day visits.

Thankyou for your interest in local customs and safety tips. I truly feel this outlook is the difference between a tourist and a traveler. The people of Cozumel are very friendly and cordial. You will find that "family" is very important. With that in mind my top tips:

-Please do take the time to enjoy their hospitality. Try not to miss Sunday evening on the Plaza. Music, Dancing, Food and Family time...it is so wonderful.

-I have found that it is considerate to for instance cover up bathing suits when in town touring, dining or shopping.

-Bartering prices is...OK.... especially in the tourist shops, however, do not insult. Be fair. Otherwise, prices in shops are actually set a fair prices.

-Taxi fares are a set price. Tips are not necessarily expected, however, do tip for exceptional service. Regardless, ask for the fare prior to getting in the cab. You may want to ask what the price should be for your destination at your place of lodging.

-Please do NOT rent scooters. I know I said we did not have to revisit this topic, but I can't help myself. This is a debate on the board that goes around and around. Folks, this is MY opinion, no need to argue this...again. Please search this topic and come to your own conclusion, I for one or many as the case is, will not risk a scooter accident while visiting Cozumel.

-Please consider not renting a horse drawn carriage. The horses used on the street carraiges are poorly cared for and truly deserve better. I am not saying the carriage rides should not be offered. However, it is my hope that someday the people who own this business will change their ways and care for the horses properly. If people stop hiring the service, perhaps the oweners will understand the point better.

-If arriving by plane, be aware of the timeshare folks at the airport. Unless you are interested in a timeshare opportunity, be aware that the folks greeting you as you exit the custom inspection are timeshare reps. If you just want transportation, answer with a friendly yet forceful ..NO and go immediately to the official ticket booth. The sign above the glass front booth says "TICKETS" As of January it is to your diagonal, far right once you pass through the magic sliding doors after you play RED Light/Green Light. Here you will PURCHASE a ticket and then be directed outside to a van which will take you to your lodging. Taxi's are not allowed to pick up at the airport, only deliver. Again, if your taxi ticket is offered "FREE", or not purchased at the Official Ticket booth, it is most likely a timeshare.

-Please visit the many restaurants for top notch dining. La choza, Sorrisi's, Wynston's, Kinta. Don't forget the Comida's for a fantastic $5 - 6 dollar meal. Also the small taco stands and grilled chicken places are fantastic too !

-Travel with safety in mind as you would anywhere. No worries about walking at night or alone. However, as you would anywhere, keep your wallet/money concealed and be aware of your surroundings...just as you would at home. No worries overall...!!!

Those are my top tips. Please do enjoy Cozumel, you will have a wonderful time !!

Sue and Mike

We'll be on the island from 8/29 thru 9/5 and staying at the Wyndham Sabor. We're a group of six. Two of us are divers.

I know that it'll be hot, hot, hot and muggy, and the water will be like bath water, but that's ok...we've been to many places in the Caribbean in the summer, so we know what to expect in that regard. We've been to Coz, and I dove it, a couple of times on cruises. We liked it so much, that we've decided to stay for a week.

We'll probably hit town once, and will explore the island. We'll be diving on 4-5 of the days, so the exploring will probably be in the afternoon, (that is if the non-divers are up for it after a day of lounging in the heat and drinking!)

I've perused the boards for things to do, places to eat, drink, etc. but I still have a few questions.

Here they are, in no particular order:

Does it rain much?

People?

Any tips, suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!!

The time share salesman at the airport :D

We're going the beginning of August.....haven't been at that time. Been Jan,Feb,April,May,June,July & Nov. We're trying to cover all the months:D Seems like May had the weirdest currents.

On the Pod People....August will be a down time for that species also. Most of the cruiselines except Carnival, reposition many of their ships during Hurricane season, so instead of 6 or 7 in port many days, it will only be 2 or 3.

Mike

We are spending almost 3 weeks in August! We like it because is quiet. The water is very warm, just the way I like it. As all the above people have said, there is little to worry about.

Thanks everyone!

We've visited, and dove, Coz twice, (as POD people:wink:), and were impressed enough to want to return to stay for a week. We've actually eaten at La Choza, (at the advice of Chellie, owner of Eagle Ray Divers), and had a very enjoyable meal. I'm looking forward to checking out the town, sans the "POD people".

The Caribbean is our destination of choice, (with Grand Cayman being our favorite), and have found that cruises are great way to recon, for longer trips, and have discovered places such as Grand Cayman, St. Lucia, etc., where we have returned and stayed for for a week, or so. We love Mexico, and the Mexican people, (we stayed in Cancun and Rivera Maya), and can't wait to get back!!

Great advice about the scooters, (I lived in Naples, Italy, possibly one of the few places where they drive crazier than the folks in the Caribbean), and there ain't no way we're doing that. Unfamiliar roads, alcohol and tourists don't mix. I'll leave it at that.

As for the time share sharks? They're easy to deal with....just tell 'em that we own a bunch of them and aren't interested in any more :shakehead:

Thanks everyone, for all of your great advice, and, please, keep 'em coming!

Michael and I are also former Pod people. 8 cruises, all with Carnival. Sailed on the very first ship, Mardi Gras then on to the Paradise when she was 100% smoke free. One of the trips was a 2 week back to back, which was awesome. Anyway, we are proud to be former Pod people and do not regret out time spent on the high seas and visiting ports of call, however, we are now focused on land base dive vacations. Cruisers are a fun bunch of folks and having them drop in on us in Cozumel is just fine. Overall however, watching them does add to our entertainment just as I'm sure Michael and I did for folks several years ago ! :)

local customs to be aware of -

Mexico is primarily a Catholic country, and somewhat conservative dress is appreciated away from resort. You can wear t-shirts and shorts, but don't go walking around town in bathing suit, it is offensive. Same thing goes for topless sunbathing, not appreciated except over at the north beach at Mezcallitos. (Lots of Europeans now visit over at PDC and rules are a bit more lax over there for that reason, you see lots of topless ladies in public beaches and pools. But on Coz, keep in mind the local culture.)

robin:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom