please recommend Belize Dive Operator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Learnhart

Reaction score
We will be going to Belize over Christmas and would like to find an operator that offers personal service and takes small groups (no cattle boats). Some people recommend Amigos del Mar and yet others have negative things to say about them; Ecological Divers is another one with favorable reviews. We're fairly new divers (four adults) so we feel more comfortable with an attentive DM. Any advice is most appreciated. Thanks.

ProTech. Tell Peter that Trey and Renee sent you.

Learnhart:
We will be going to Belize over Christmas and would like to find an operator that offers personal service and takes small groups (no cattle boats). Some people recommend Amigos del Mar and yet others have negative things to say about them; Ecological Divers is another one with favorable reviews. We're fairly new divers (four adults) so we feel more comfortable with an attentive DM. Any advice is most appreciated. Thanks.

In San Pedro I have been very pleased with Ambergris Divers. I have done approximately 40 dives with this group. Contact Karen Canul 501 - 610 - 0075 or e-mail: ambergrisdivers@btl.net or www.ambergrisdivers.com.

Do NOT use Paradise Down on Caulker. I had a great time w/ Big Fish, however. Belize Diving Service and Frenchies are good as well.

battles2a5:
Do NOT use Paradise Down on Caulker. I had a great time w/ Big Fish, however. Belize Diving Service and Frenchies are good as well.

You know, I had almost the opposite experience. I didn't really like Big Fish and liked Paradise Down for the one trip I did with each. I dove most of the time with Frenchie's and loved them, so we agree on that. Although Paradise Down is a bigger operation, so that may fit your definition of a cattle boat.

Sounds like the OP is going to Ambergris, but has he/she considered Caulker?

My only experience with Amigos Del Mar was seeing them at the Blue Hole. A very big group of divers; so big they split it in two.

Try Pro Tech. I haven't been diving with them, but they are pretty much the only dive op in Belize I haven't read a negative review on. From what I've seen, every other dive op has good weeks and bad weeks. I did a LDS trip (when I was still doing those) and they booked through AquaDives. I had read good and bad reviews. We had a decent trip. I didn't see anything negative I had read about. So I guess we got lucky and got them on a good week. If we return to Belize on a land based trip, I will book Pro Tech.

Learnhart:
....would like to find an operator that offers personal service..... We're fairly new divers (four adults) so we feel more comfortable with an attentive DM. Any advice is most appreciated. Thanks.

A DM's job is not to look after newbies, sorry to say.

You may do well to inquire as to hiring your own DM (not as pricey as you might think) rather than relying upon a group's DM.

Curiously, on many "cattle boats", you might get more supervision quantitatively than on some smaller, more intimate boats.

Hire a local DM for the first few dives. After that, follow your DM like a puppy, its the only way you'll see the cool macro stuff.

Learnhart:

If you would want to stay on the mainland take a look at Hamanasi, all inclusive,. www.hamanasi.com You take a puddle jumper about 30 minutes south and the hotel picks you up for the 30 min car ride. Small boats take you to a small secluded island between dives for snacks and lunch prepared by the hotel. A dm always dives with you. The dive shop takes care of your equipment, it's cleaned and hanging in the dive shop after the dives, then brought and set up at the boat each day. They do take trips to the blue hole, etc. weather permitting. Meals were good. They provide guided tours of the interior which were very worth while doing. Perhaps a dozen rooms are on the beach but behind the main house you have tree houses where we stayed. Very private, about 10' off the ground, gotten to by paths in the jungle but only a few hudred yards from the main house. Except for house keeping once a day, no one is allowed at your tree house. They were great. See tripadvisor web site for reviews. If you have any question please let me know.

vondo:
You know, I had almost the opposite experience. I didn't really like Big Fish and liked Paradise Down for the one trip I did with each. I dove most of the time with Frenchie's and loved them, so we agree on that. Although Paradise Down is a bigger operation, so that may fit your definition of a cattle boat.

Sounds like the OP is going to Ambergris, but has he/she considered Caulker?

My only experience with Amigos Del Mar was seeing them at the Blue Hole. A very big group of divers; so big they split it in two.

Oh man, I had an awesome time w/ Big Fish. I got to know everyone by the end of my trip. I also did my AOW w/ them. I guess it just depends on who you get with your trip. I have never heard any bad feedback from Frenchies. I think the OP should definitely consider Caulker, especially if they want to avoid the crowd.

I am one of the people to recommend Amigos del Mar Dive Shop. I have made 6 trips to San Padro and have tried a couple of shops. After I dove with ADM I stoped shopping around. The owners adopted my family when my son was 6 or 7 years old and would keep him at their shop when my wife and I dove and then after he got certified (at age 10) he would stay at the shop for our first (deep) dive and then go on the second dive. They do the surface intervental at the shop. On most dives there were only 4 or 5 divers. They give very personal service, just let them know what you want and need. The staff has hardly changed over the past 10 years. Why? Because they are all very happy working for the best Dive Operation in S.P. and they are always busy. They also have the largest fleet of boats in S.P. The owner is Changa Paz who has lived in S.P. all his life. There are alot of good guides who can show you a good time under water in S.P. No one comes close to ADM's all around service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom