Please recommend a camera that will grow with me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may as well throw in my $.02 worth. I have a Canon S95. I have both an Iklite and Canon housing. I find the Canon Housing easier to use. I have been happy enough with the Canon I bought another on Ebay. Being an "old model" now but not too old they are readily available. I got the Iklite Housing so I could attach a wetlens for macro. You can even "stack" a couple Inons on it. I don't have a strobe but experimenting with other light options.

The Canon S95 can do much more than I know how to ask of it. It has a very "fast lens" and works well under low light with just the diffuser and internal flash. These shots are some of my first ones with the camera and I did not have any additional lenses attached. I expect to get much better with my Inon lense on our next dive trip. It can certainly "grow with you for a while. here is an example of what it can do

one of my favourite subjects.. the Sydney Pygmy Pipehorse. To put it into perspective the filaments attached to it's head are not much bigger than a human hair! Those shots were taken with only the internal flash.

My suggestions would be Get something like the S95 and spend the rest of your bonus on an Underwater Photography course. I have seen people with a lot of expensive equipment that still couldn't get decent shots! Spendyou money on getting the knowledge and getting as much underwater time as you can/ If or when you decide you want something more you will have a better idea what you want and the experience/knowledge to get the most out of it.

Thanks all. Alot of excellent suggestions. I am strongly leaning towards a mirrorless camera, probably one of the Olympus pen series. Anyone see any reason why that would be a huge mistake?

My E-Pl5 did a great job recently in 10bar housing +2x inon s2000's (latters being on the weakish side:().
Octopus.jpg

Thanks all. Alot of excellent suggestions. I am strongly leaning towards a mirrorless camera, probably one of the Olympus pen series. Anyone see any reason why that would be a huge mistake?

Nope. BUT!

Make sure you pay some attention to the arm set & strobes you pick. in general if chosen properly, they can outlive your camera.

Many current strobes are optical only and this may not be what you want when (not if...) you upgrade your new camera and desire having the flexibility of full manual control.

Nope. BUT!

Make sure you pay some attention to the arm set & strobes you pick. in general if chosen properly, they can outlive your camera.

Many current strobes are optical only and this may not be what you want when (not if...) you upgrade your new camera and desire having the flexibility of full manual control.

Thanks Giffen, I will keep that in mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom