Please Make it Stop!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know the nomenclature of this feature but would like to turn it off. When I enter something like: “insert the end of the webbing” the word “end” has a dotted underline. Placing the pointer above it caused it to change to an arrow with a question mark and display “Equivalent Narcotic Depth” in a box. This is not a link and I have the Skimlinks Enabled option unchecked.

I wouldn’t mind it so much if it did that to “END” and not “end”. It would even be fine if I could preview it before posting and turn it off when inappropriate. I would even be willing to submit suggestions for words or phrases to add the definition to. Sorry if I missed the answer in another post and didn’t know what to search for.

I just got a PM from a member who does not see the dotted underline. I am using the Chrome browser, but tried IE8 under XP. Sure enough, no underline. I am guessing that it is a new browser capability. In any case, the information must emanate from Scubaboard since the message window is so diving specific. Hope this helps.

Go to User CP
on the left click on General Setting
Scroll down to Skimlinks

UNCHECK the Skimlinks bock

Save changes to your setting.

I use Chrome and that helps me on several posts.

akimbo did ya read the google policy change maybe it is in there. I dive and drink to much to care to read, just thought it might be there policy change.

I don’t know the nomenclature of this feature but would like to turn it off. When I enter something like: “insert the end of the webbing” the word “end” has a dotted underline. Placing the pointer above it caused it to change to an arrow with a question mark and display “Equivalent Narcotic Depth” in a box. This is not a link and I have the Skimlinks Enabled option unchecked.

Staff has been working on adding a feature to provide definitions for some of the most commonly asked abbreviations. There have been some glitches with the implementation that we're looking into. Please bear with us while we sort some of this stuff out one way or another.

Reactions: Jax
Staff has been working on adding a feature to provide definitions for some of the most commonly asked abbreviations. There have been some glitches with the implementation that we're looking into. Please bear with us while we sort some of this stuff out one way or another.

Will do, thanks. Actually, it is very cool if it could be sorted out or turned off when it is inappropriate. I can think of tons of acronyms and buzz words that a pop-up would be great for.

Go to User CP
on the left click on General Setting
Scroll down to Skimlinks

UNCHECK the Skimlinks bock

Save changes to your setting.

I use Chrome and that helps me on several posts.

I've found that doesn't always work here. I had that blocked but still got he "hot links" added.

found that blocking this by domain name works great though.

http://s.skimresources.com/js/4116X643453.skimlinks.js

or just block all of http://skimresources.com

a) This IS solved. END has been removed from the acronym expansion. It's a helpful tool. Like when people type in LDS - it explains what acronyms are for people who may not know what they mean. However, common words foil our efforts to be helpful.

2) This is not skimlinks.

Back
Top Bottom