Please learn

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BUGBAGGER

Contributor
Reaction score
There is not much I can say that would not violate some issues of privacy at this point so I will not be specific regarding any details.

Suffice it to say that another young man is in a dire situation due to another freediving accident. Though it is not clear yet, and may never be absolutely clear, it appears that based on pretty strong evidence his extremely critical (almost certainly not survivable) condition is due to deep water black out.

Deep water black out, like shallow water blackout, is almost always fatal unless a buddy, who is safely observing from the surface is present to intervene. There was no buddy present.

Please, please, can't we all just learn to take reasonable precautions along with the adventurous risks that we choose when we choose to explore beneath the waves.

Be safe out there folks. This is tearing up alot of dear friends of a sweet adventurous guy.

By the sounds of it your friend is still alive which means he still has a fighting chance. I hope and pray for a full recovery. And yes I also agree that we should not take unessary risks when freediving or diving.

All the best.

Day before Father's Day, a freediver never surfaced off of Catalina Island, breaking his father's heart. Shallow water blackout is implicated and no dive buddy was present.

Back
Top Bottom