Please help recommend a full-foot fin for me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nohappy

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm using Dive Rite XT now and I like it very much. Once I get used to it, I feel that many other fins are too soft for me. I also like frog kick. Now I'm considering to buy a full-foot fin with similar power as XT. Do you recommend any fin?

Please take a look at our selection of full foot (freedive) fins. We offer a wide variety of choices in price and materials. If you are looking for a stiff blade, the only advice I can give is avoid our soft fiberglass and carbon fiber blades.

As an FYI, if you have dive boots with thick soles, then a full foot pocket fin will not fit. most people will select a neoprene sock, which will fit into the pocket.

If you have any specific questions, please let me know.

Fins

Thanks Mako,

But I'm looking for a scuba diving fin.

Check out the AquaLung Express full foot fins. I dive them almost year round as a work fin on recreational gear, but I have also used them when diving tech gear with steel tanks. The blades are wide and of average length, with stiffness to move you along when necessary, but the are great to frog kick as well. Best full foot fin I have ever used.

I see that the main selling point of the Dive Rite XT is its tried and tested design and material. I snorkel exclusively with full foot fins and the fins I use are also classic in their design and material, namely Gull full-foots made and used extensively in Japan for snorkelling and scuba diving. Consider the Hard Mew and Supermew models displayed on the Full Foot Fin page of the website of Marinetone of Hong Kong. In my experience, the company gives excellent service and dispatches goods very fast around the world.

This said, fins in general, and full-foot fins in particular, are very personal items of gear when it comes to comfort and efficiency. It's very tempting to follow the crowd when engaging in fin choice even when whatever happens to be the "flavour of the month" actually reduces comfort and efficiency in individual cases. Early diving textbooks recommended borrowing a range of fins and trying them out to see which ones worked and which ones didn't, given each individual's different strengths and preferences. You might also draw up a list of desirable fin characteristics other than power that might help you narrow down your process of selection.

Thanks Mako,

But I'm looking for a scuba diving fin.

I use the Mako Competition Freediving fins for scuba. They are awesome. And not much more than half the price of DR XTs.

They feel NOTHING like the DR XTs, but I think they give way more power. And they work well for frog kicks. I can even back kick in them. They are my absolute favorite fin for warm water with no wreck penetrations.

The DR XTs have a very comfortable (to me) foot pocket, but I definitely do not like how stiff they are. For open-heel fins, I prefer the Deep6 Eddy fin or the Hollis F1 or F1 LT fin. The XTs are so stiff they start to give me cramps as soon as I start to fin really hard.

I like the Cressi Free Frog for a full-foot fin. It looks like they are out of production with the Reaction Pro or Pro Star being the most similar.

Back
Top Bottom