Please help me choose a light for recreational/wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shamufish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone!

Despite going through endless threads I don't really see a consensus for primary lights around 100-120 pounds (160-200 bucks). I'd need something handheld, LED based, ideally using the more recent tech (XRE and so on), with a solid build quality. Because I'm prolly going to only do recreational and outside of wrecks, run time might not matter that much. AA batteries or similar rather than rechargeable, if possible. All the previous being considered, I still want the brightest light for the buck (why not :wink:)

There seems to be HUGE differences in announced lumens in that price range, with some lights rated at 220 lumens and others like the Metalsub xre 500 rated at 500 lumens. Might be BS from marketing depts, I don't know. It's hard to tell!

Can you recommend something? Cheers!

There was or is a HID for sale in the classifieds for $200. Otherwise a Dorcy 220 lumen is a decent light although I would not consider it a primary. You can use it with an Oxycheq sock to make it hands free. They are $44 or so from Amazon.com in the USA.

It's hard to get any real info on the Metalsub XRE500. One XRE can't produce 500 lumens and Metalsub doesn't seem to address this. If this light uses 3 XRE's then it can produce 500 lumens.

This is my back-up tech/primary rec torch: Aquatec 5W

It's a great torch for £50-60. IMHO, you won't need anything more for recreational/non-penetration dives. Save the surplus money for other kit and/or a primary cannister light, should your diving progress to serious penetrations.

5 Watt LED Aluminum Flashlight with high brightness and very long burn time (approx. 18-20 hours). Attractive design. Very rugged.
- requires 3 C batteries
- Color temperature: 6000-8000 K
- 230 lumens
- Max. Diameter: 44mm
- Length: 200 mm
- water resistant up to: 120m
Aqualumen5Wled.jpg

Other UK retailers/reviews:
Aqua-Lumen 5w LED Torch --- Kent Diving

Aqua Lumen LED 5w Torch

anyone try the new Hollis LED3 yet? looks like decent light, I wonder how does it compare to the Intova Ultra

I use 2 Hollis LED5's as my backup lights. I've compared them to my buddie's 10w HID can light and they are as bright if not brighter. When compared to my 21w HID can, they can hold their own too. 260 lumens and you should be able to get one for around 50-70 pounds. They're $100 at my local dive shop here in Canada.

I use 2 Hollis LED5's as my backup lights. I've compared them to my buddie's 10w HID can light and they are as bright if not brighter. When compared to my 21w HID can, they can hold their own too. 260 lumens and you should be able to get one for around 50-70 pounds. They're $100 at my local dive shop here in Canada.

which hollis led? led3 or led5?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom